Sign in to follow this  
Korax

Persona 4: Dancing All Night

Dancing All Night just came out (for NA, at least)!

The story mode is bringing some shades of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan, with the Persona 4 characters rescuing people from a new shadow world. The world supernaturally forces a "nobody can be hurt" rule, so the next logical step to defeating enemies is, of course, DANCING. There's also a Free Dance mode, where all but 1 or 2 songs can eventually be played at your whim.

I've been having fun with it! All the music is extended/remixed versions of Persona 4's soundtrack, and almost every time a new track has come up, it's elicited a smile from me.

Also, Nanako dances to the Junes theme:

And I'm partial to this mix/routine from Kanji:

I think there is a remixed version used in the in-game shop but not a dance-able song. Is this the first game where Tanaka was actually voiced? I heard some of his English VA and he didn't sound sleazy enough for me. Very excited to get this game though.

Yeah, it doesn't look like it's a dance track, though there is DLC support, so there might be some slim hope for it in the future.

Once you spend enough money in the shop, you unlock full-head Tanaka masks for purchase.

Yep I really want this game. Getting it for Christmas/Birthday (29/12 - yaaaay) gift from my gf. Purely because I'm the worst and I want the special P4 DAN vita, as it is a thing of beauty:

P4D-Dated-JP_Box_003.png

This game is absolutely fantastic.

I found the quickest way to unlock everything is to throw a bunch of modifiers on; the "fast notes" seem more helpful than a hindrance, and "random directions" seems to not mean anything? Between those two modifiers and the Tatsuhime Charm unlockable, I'm pulling in about $48,000 per hard mode track with a "Brilliant" rating. It's $53,000 on the first clear, which also dings a medal for "make more than $50k on one song." I'm going through story mode with my roommates, but I shredded through Free Dance this weekend. I will say that running through Free Dance means you hit a few Story Spoilers, but unlocking just about every costume/accessory that the game will allow is Worth It.

I also bought all the DLC, because I am a terrible completionist garbage human, but the "Stage Outfit" DLC in particular is stellar across the board. I think Yukiko, Kanji, and Yu probably have the best/most fitting ones. The game's insistence on NAOTO IS CISFEMALE AND NEVER HAD IDENTITY QUESTIONS NUH-UH is a little frustrating, but that's largely Golden's fault, so I can't blame a giant piece of fanservice that much.

Fast and slow notes will probably be more up to individual reaction times. I'm mostly fine with fast, but things start getting so bunched up in slow that it can be a problem. Random direction is also one that may or may not matter: normally the note sequences try to follow a pattern or line around the inputs, but random makes them go off in all directions. I use the "reverse notes" powerup because it keeps that flow, just flips the side that the notes go to. Since the note patterns rarely seem to actually correspond to the dance that's happening (and that I'm not really paying enough attention to anyway), it's a score/money bonus for a penalty that I don't perceive.

I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't integrate with an existing P4G save in any way. I don't need much, but a couple of free unlocks or an acknowledgement that Yukiko is my soulmate would be nice.

In general, the game's insistence that you may not have played Persona 4 so we have to explain everything to you is mystifying. I can't imagine who is buying this that didn't play P4.

On the other hand, the story mode is basically a rhythm action visual novel, which is a hilarious thing to exist.

I've been playing this a lot on the trains and I really, really love it. I'm surprised that I'm as engaged with the story as I am, it doesn't seem like just fan-service to me. PQ was WAY more of that in my opinion, all the characters were reduced down to a single trait and everything they said was in reference to that trait. It really took me out of this game. 

DAN seems to be actually a proper sequel and I'm happy to see it reference things from previous games in a natural way, instead of an elbow to the rib and a bunch of winks. I was also fully prepared to hate the new idol (She NEEDS to stop saying "1, 2, 3!" tho) and the manager but they're growing on me.

As for the gameplay, I really do find that 'fast notes' helps a bit. Sometimes everything is just too slow. I feel like 'fast notes' puts everything on the beat better.

Any thoughts on the DLC?

The two free tracks were pretty mediocre, and the Adachi track seems kind of boring, but the extra Rise and Marie songs seem like they might be OK.

I also don't know the songs from the anime at all. Anything essential in there?

BTW, if people haven't looked, there's a number of free costume sets on the DLC store, which are pretty fun.

The game's finally out in my region and I've already plowed through story mode at an unreasonable pace. Since then I've just worked at unlocking Backside of the TV in Free Dance and then gave it a break finally.

Does anybody know why some notes have a red line around them when they're getting close to the scoring area rather than a yellow one? I noticed that I sometimes lose my combo without explicitly missing a note, but I haven't worked out the exact conditions for why that happens, although it seems to happen right around those notes, and also when I have a couple of near-misses in a row.

Is it always a particular spot? You could try just cleaning you screen. I had a smudge on mine that made one input act up intermittently since you can touch the screen instead of the buttons.

The red line is actually intentional! It indicates that a note is on the "and" beat (the "off beat"). So if a pattern is a straight "1, 2, 3, 4" with quarter notes, all of those will be yellow lines. If it's "1 and 2 and 3 and 4," the three "and" notes will have red lines to denote that they're on the off beat. Red lines also tend to show up for any other syncopated rhythms. Triplets are all red lines as well, and I think some other things that don't fall cleanly into a 4/4 or 3/4 (I don't think Dancing all Night has any time signatures other than those, maybe 6/8 which doesn't make a huge difference) downbeat structure also end up getting "red lined."

Music!