Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Esports Today 9/30/2015: Byul-ish on Esports

Esports Today October 1, 2015:

786__header.jpg

Byul-ish on Esports

Rob and Andrew gather after a hectic week of travel to revisit the latest chapter in perennial StarCraft underdog ByuL's amazing autumn, and discuss what they're looking forward to at League of Legend's World Championship.

StarCraft2, League of Legends

Opening Segment: StarCraft2

18:00: Esports Tomorrow

I think Andrew was selling Aui 2000 short, and the new Team Secret lineup as well.

While Aui's Techies was pretty extraordinary to watch, so was his KotL, his Naga, his Skywrath Mage, his Visage, etc. There are some DOTA players that really just know a handful of heroes really well, but Aui strikes me as one of those players that can play nearly any hero really well. It very well might be that EG made the right call kicking him, but if it was I don't think it will have anything to do with the Techies nerf.

As for Team Secret, it is admittedly a little early to judge how strong they are as a team. Their new lineup has played a total of 3 matches, all of them in the WCA European qualifiers. They successfully played against Na'Vi, Alliance, and Virtus Pro in best of 3's, losing only a single game to Alliance. Although Na'Vi and Alliance aren't exactly top tier teams these days, they aren't a bunch of scrubs either. Virtus Pro was the team that managed to eliminate Secret in TI, and I would consider them one of the strongest teams in Europe. The Virtus Pro lineup is unchanged from TI so for Secret to convincingly 2-0 them suggests they are just as much a team to be reckoned with as the old Secret. How this new lineup stacks up against EG and China's best remains to be seen, but if I had to guess the likelihood of who wins ESL One I would rate it EG > Secret > CDEC > Virtus Pro.

You guys have talked a lot about ByuL in the past few weeks. I'm excited for tomorrow when what I feel like the ultimate trial will take place; GSL Code S Finals. I'll be very interested to hear what you guys have to say about that! I'm a little sad that CJ was knocked out from ProLeague though, but I think Jin Air is definitely the stronger team right now and will be the most capable of making SKT break a sweat. It's been a really good few months for StarCraft 2, I'm glad I got back into it after a year or so of not paying much attention at all to it.

You guys have talked a lot about ByuL in the past few weeks. I'm excited for tomorrow when what I feel like the ultimate trial will take place; GSL Code S Finals.

:cry:

Narrative of "Can the Western teams do anything?" Seems a bit exaggerated. Certainly SC is always like that, and LoL isn't much better, but as you say CS is dominated by western teams constantly, and Dota2 has plenty of Western teams getting consistent top 4 finishes.

The International for Dota2 over the last 5 years has had 3 Western teams in first place and 3 in second place.

Also agreed with sclpls about Aui_2000. Techies isn't the reason he is a great player. Historically his ability to play game-controlling supports in general has been his strength. Characters like Visage and Naga Siren are probably his best, but as evidenced by the TI5 finals, all it takes is a handful of really strong hero-player combos to force respect bans from the opponent's draft. And if you've got a captain who's good at picking, that can be all it takes to swing the match.

Sign in to follow this