Sign in to follow this  
richardco

Bloodbeef Riendeau v. Yharnam

d0ng81Q.png?1

Thanks to Tegan for the fantastic art!

The inspiration

In Idle Thumbs episode 207, Danielle aired a beef that she had with Bloodborne.  A bloodbeef, if you will. The bloodbeef was about getting backed into a corner and not feeling able to escape.  Danielle mentioned that in real life she knows how to get out of a corner in a fight.  I imagined Danielle boxing Father Gascogine in a graveyard and the Bloodbeef run was born.

The build

Character name:

Bloodbeef RI

Apparently there's a character limit to character names in Bloodborne.  So Bloodbeef Riendeau didn't fit.  Therefore, I went with RI.  I believe on some podcast or another, Danielle mentioned that the RI in her twitter handle is a reference to Rhode Island as well as her last name.

The only messages I've left for other players are some variation of "Don't give up!"  Even in the oppressive Yharnam hellscape, Bloodbeef Riendeau remains a force of positivity and encouragement.

The Weapons:

Gun:  No guns.  You can’t p90x a gun.

Main hand:  Danielle is a boxer, therefore I've decided to do the entire run using only the Beast Claws weapon.  In a transformed state, this weapon is the closest approximation of hand-to-hand brawling (aside from not equipping a weapon at all—I'm sure someone will beat the game barehanded, but I'm just not that patient or skilled.)

Gear:  I'm going to be using the Ashen Hunter set as it increases the Beasthood stat.  It also—handily—covers part of the character's face so that we can all pretend I'm very talented at character creation and that I've made a perfect rendering of Danielle.

Items:  I'll have tons of bullets to spare since I won't be shooting them.  Bloodborne allows bullets to be spent to activate Hunter Tools.  Some of these tools buff the player character, some of them do direct damage to enemies.  I'm only going to use the ones that buff.

The Run

-All bosses.

-All hunters (except Eileen because anyone who attacks Eileen is a monster and I don't want to know them).  Fighting them as close to their full effectiveness as possible.  No cheese.

-Keep track of deaths versus bosses and other hunters.

-Upload videos of every successful boss and hunter kill.

Challenges

-Since the Beast Claws can only be obtained about halfway through the game, I've decided to do this run on New Game+.  Every enemy hits harder and has more health.

-This will be my 5th time through the game, and I rely HEAVILY on the gun to parry certain bosses.

-The transformed state in which I'll be wielding the Beast Claws allows the wielder to gain a Beasthood status effect when attacking enemies.  This status is represented on the screen as a slowly filling bar.  The bar will begin depleting once the hunter stops hitting an enemy.  The more that bar is filled, the more damage the hunter will deal.  The damage that the hunter receives from attacks is also increased dramatically.  To be at peak effectiveness, I’ll probably have to press attacks when I normally wouldn’t.  I can definitely see this getting me into trouble. 

-I've never managed to kill the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst without cheesing him.  I imagine that I'll die more to him than any boss.  Retired Hunter Djura has a small arena with lethal drops on every side—I don't want to accidently knock him over before I can whittle down his hp.  The battles with multiple hunters at the same time are going to be very, very hard.  Especially without parries.

Bosses Videos!!!

Cleric Beast: 1 attempt

Father Gascoigne: 3 attempts

(I'll continue to update this post as Bloodbeef Riendeau wreaks havoc.)

(And a question to more experienced forum users: Is there any limit to the amount of stuff that I can embed in a single post? I could link 2 videos but not 3.)

(And a question to more experienced forum users: Is there any limit to the amount of stuff that I can embed in a single post? I could link 2 videos but not 3.)

I believe you have to put the [media] tag around any youtube video after your second one, like the

tag. The forum limits every post to embed 2 youtube videos otherwise.

Cool challenge!  I don't think this is accurate though:

The bar will begin depleting once the hunter stops hitting an enemy.  The more that bar is filled, the more damage the hunter will deal.

I'd have to go find it, but I'm pretty sure someone tested Beasthood and found that the damage bonus is steady, the bar only controls how long it is active.  Increasing the Beasthood stat does not increase damage, only the maximum time you can have it active, so it's actually not a terribly useful stat for the claws which are constantly building it. 

Also, you could probably make an argument for your hunter to skip Djura, since it's possible to talk to him without him trying to kill you.