Sign in to follow this  
Deadpan

[Dev Log] I Get This Call Every Night

No episode title for me, screw the game police! I'm working on one of my unfinished Twine games, although less out of nonconformism than lack of time. I'll probably only be jamming today since I got a paper to write this weekend, so it doesn't make much sense to start something completely new. If I do find time next weekend, I might surprise y'all with a second thing.

Anyway, the idea here is that you play the person on the other end of a Batman-type vigilante's earpiece, answering their calls, getting them all those door codes and building plans they ask for and making a couple of choices to jazz out how you feel about their "punch crime in the face" version of justice that doesn't change anything systemically. Political agendas everywhere! I counted at least eighty feminisms in my design document!

So far the game covers you entering the manor of your enigmatic employer, making yourself a cup of tea (featuring 432 combinations of different types, with various kinds of milk or without, and other extras), a random roll determining the pronoun used for your employer, heading down to the Not-The-Batcave, a title screen, and a boot sequence for the Not-The-Batcomputer. Next up is calling up your boss and being briefed on their antics before kicking your legs up for a bit on a quiet night.

I had trouble coming up with a name for the superhero person you're working with, so I decided to put that up to a random roll as well. Took a little bit of tweaking since most combinations of obvious words like night, crawl, blade, shade etc. are already taken (I forgot how absurd comics are), but I think I got it working decently now. Some interesting results.

If you don't use "Duskshade" then I might. If you use "Duskshade", then I probably will too.

I'm using it, but only in the vague sense that it'll be one of the possible results of the name generator that runs when you reach the right passage. Definitely still up for grabs.

Right now I'm toying with the idea of implementing a couple of low-frequency special results like "Dishonored Nick Breckon"

Probably going to have to take a break from this until the end of the week now to address the matter of a paper that is strangely not writing itself when I'm not looking, but meanwhile, I uploaded what I've built so far for anybody curious.

I figure this is about 33% of the game at the moment. Haven't gotten to any big choices yet, but I'm also following the Telltale school of only putting a few big hitters in there. Also, the tone might be a little inconsistent depending on whether you get a real sounding superhero name or some goofy goof.

No more progress on this project, but I did download Unity and successfully follow one of their tutorials this weekend. So as far as my goals for this jam are concerned, I've been vaguely successful on both counts.

Sign in to follow this