Sign in to follow this  
GraysonEvans

Over 50 Sherlock Holmes Stories Now Public Domain

Are these 50+ stories the ones in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, and His Last Bow or some other stories? Those books have been available for quite some time in Project Gutenberg in various formats, including stunning audiobook renditions which helped shape my image of Sherlock Holmes as something other than a weird sociopath many adaptations seem to be going for, for which I'm really grateful. The narrator is simply amazing.

The text of the stories was fairly immaterial in the case, as I understand it. The estate was mostly arguing that because some of the Sherlock Holmes stories were still under copyright, the character was owned by their estate and representations of him needed to be licensed/they were owed compensation for those representations. Now any characteristics represented outside the last bit of the canon are free game. For some reason, Holmes' cocaine use was an issue? I don't know, I only read the coverage briefly.

Copyright: It's fucking weird!