Sign in to follow this  

Ugh, you guys!  This is actually looking pretty good!

I've been holding a candle for the return of something like Spider-Man 2 for years and have been disappointed time and again when developers keep thinking "hey, let's making the swinging simpler so you only have to use one button" or "hey, let's not have the webbing attach to buildings" or "hey, let's make a game where you don't even swing around the city derp derp."  This time though, dare I believe?

Let's talk about how great the Spider-Man 2 game was and how we hope this might be pretty good maybe!

I haven't played any of the Beenox games, but I did enjoy the Neversoft ones back in the day. Spider-Man 2 is remember fondly for its web-swinging mechanics, but as I recall, the gameplay itself was pretty lackluster and had you doing things such as chasing down balloons to placate crying children.

It's too bad Activision doesn't take a cue from Warner and build the games outside of the film license. The Arkham games share a lot of tonal similarities with Christopher Nolan's Batman films, yet they're two separate arms of the same franchise.

Also, playing as Peter Parker sounds awful and unnecessary. But it would be awesome if this was good!

Just like to give a shout-out to spider-man 2 for the PS1; and specifically the costume collecting stuff.

Unlocking these audio logs when I was 12 or whatever was a DREAM for me. I watched the FOX Kids spider-man cartoon, but didn't know all the comic lore at all. So to get a little tease of a world in which there is a SCARLET SPIDER and THE NEGATIVE ZONE was straight mezmerizing.

And the added bonus that they come with unique attributes and abilities? Ohmygosh

The X-box/PS2/GC Spider Man 2 game was awesome, the way it handled web-slinging and wall-running made for some of the most enjoyable locomotion mechanics i've ever played around with and it more than offset the kind of boring mission design and middling melee combat. There was a lot of nuance to the mobility in that game, it took some actual skill to become proficient with and just felt so great once you got a handle on it. While most of the Spider-Man games have generally cheated by having the web connect to nothing and simply hiding that fact offscreen, in SM2, the web would auto target the highest point on the nearest building, and then physics would basically take over.

The general gist is trying to get as much momentum as possible off of your swings, but intermittently wall-running across the side of a building to carry momentum between the occasional weak swings.

Of course, its reputation has been somewhat inflated over the years, it was for a long time one of the best superhero games on the market, but it's long since been surpassed by other games that dabble in similar subject matter, just not by other Spider-Man games.

Also, lots of Bruce Campbell reading out obscure Marvel trivia every time you found one of the hidden hint markers, some of which teased that he would say something different on each and every one if you found them all. Well, how could i resist? So i found them all, only to find that it makes him literally say "something different" on each an every hint marker. You won that round, game.

Related aside: One of the guys mainly responsible for the Spider-Man 2 game kickstarted a trick-focused score attack game based on the Spider-Man 2 movement mechanics.

, but perhaps it will coalesce into something special as it eventually closes in on a release.

Video dude pronounces "etcetera" as "etchetera."

It sounds like they more or less brought back the Spider-Man 2 webswinging, so hopefully it's Spider-Man 2 with better combat and missions or something.

I haven't played any of the Beenox games, but I did enjoy the Neversoft ones back in the day. Spider-Man 2 is remember fondly for its web-swinging mechanics, but as I recall, the gameplay itself was pretty lackluster and had you doing things such as chasing down balloons to placate crying children.

In Ultimate Spider-Man, the tutorial for playing as Venom involves killing and eating the stupid balloon kid.

16Lyd9C.jpg

In Ultimate Spider-Man, the tutorial for playing as Venom involves killing and eating the stupid balloon kid.

16Lyd9C.jpg

That is the best thing in like... ever.