Sign in to follow this  
Niyeaux

Tower of Heaven

I did a forum search to see if anyone had ever mentioned this game before, but it appears it's been sadly neglected. It's one of my favourite indie games ever, and there's a browser version of it now, so you can play it for free here.

Basically, it's a super timing-specific platformer (sort of Meat Boy-esque), done in the graphical style and colour palette of the original Game Boy. There's more shades of green here than you can shake a stick at. The gameplay is super fun and difficult, the controls are quite good, the music is absolutely fantastic, and what minimal story there is is super well-presented and interesting. It might be the only browser game I've ever played that made me catch some feels.

It's only like an hour long, if you're bad at games like I am, or shorter if you can refrain from dying constantly. Hopefully you guys like it as well, and I'm not just crazy in thinking this game is incredible.

Bonus: here's an

of the game. It sounds like a Game Boy as well, which is cool.

I beta tested the download version back in 2009! :tup:

I like how thematically it's a thinly-veiled criticism of religious dogma, and how this theme gets reflected in the mechanics. The god figure keeps giving you arbitrary and unnatural rules as the game goes on, some of which are so onerous you need to figure out loopholes just to get around, all the while the level design taunts you with how easy everything would be if only you didn't have to obey.

I remember playing this game a while ago. I didn't really think too much about the whole theme of religious dogma, I just thought it was a brilliant take on the sadistic designer woven into the narrative, like Portal. Besides, if you're trying to make a game that shows that burdensome rules are bad, why would the game be so much damned fun?