Sign in to follow this  
biz

Idea for strategy game discovery / accessibility

So some people have some challenges getting into certain strategy games or deciding which ones to play.

Could they be classified to assist discovery / accessibility ?

Then people can look for games based on a variety of criteria:

• Similar mechanics, similar theme, different theme, similar genre, etc.
  • More/less complex, slower/faster paced, more/less challenging, etc.
  • better UI, more accessible, better graphics, better AI, etc.

example query:

Rise of Nations: similar mechanics, faster paced

example output (maybe describing the relevance):

Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Starcraft, etc.

if you want to play something relatively complex, you might be able to look for similar more accessible games that would reduce the learning curve

would this be useful?

anyone want to help populate it?

could be as simple as a shared spreadsheet. don't really need all combinations of possible queries to work

I'd like to work on this. How would the file be shared and revision controlled? I'd also be contributing to describing RTSs, esp. older ones. I don't know about turn-based games.

I had just glanced at a table I'd started jotting down in Illustrator (that's what I'm in most of the time) right before seeing this post. I'd like to be able to sort games by criteria down to like how much building is involved in an RTS or not, number of units one has at once, etc. Would need some kind of rating system for how important an aspect of a game something is. Like a 1 - 5 rating or something. Ranges like 5-10, 25-50, 50-100 ... 500-1000 (five ranges) for number of units. You'd probably have a better idea in that regard though, as I work in Illustrator, not so much w/spreadsheets.

Sortable tables can be created in wikis. Idlethumbs probably doesn't have a wiki yet, but that would be a nice way to do it.