Sign in to follow this  
riadsala

Strategic Mods

Hello,

as we don't have a mod thread for strategy games on the thread yet, I figured I'd make one. So do people have recommendations for mods for strat games? Either extra campaigns, total conversions, minor tweaks, etc.

Motivation for post: I have just bought a new shiney PC, which means I can play some new shiney games. As i have a few unplayed titles in my steam library, I figured I'd start with them. One such game is Empire Total War. Which I know was broken on release, but given the strong mod community, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some worthwhile mods out there.

So, to start of with: a couple of old CivIV mods that I like a lot.

CivIV: Fall from Heaven 2: everybody probably already knows about this. But from experience, a lot of people haven't actually tried it. If you haven't, and you like fantasy and strategy games, you really should give it a try at least once. You just have to poke around the civlopedia to see the amount of attention to detail. I've been writting up a couple of AARs on my blog. Also see the more naval AI mod for FfH2 which polishes out a few wrinkles.

CivIV: Legends of the Revolution: this is much more of a vanilla mod. The authors aimed to make something akin to a 3rd expansion pack for CivIV, and I thinki they did a pretty good job. Main features is the introduction of a revolution mechanic, which can lead to civil wars etc. While such systems are often avoided, as designers believe that they're not fun, in practise, I think it works really well as a catch up mechanic: don't worry if you're way behind the superpowers... there's a good chance Rome will fall and descend into civil war.