Tanukitsune

Suggestions for a Civ and simulation game player.

I tried the series with relative success? I played Armored Princess and liked it until I felt the pacing was too slow because I had cleared a few islands and hadn't made much progress in the main quest.

If Grotesque Tactics is considered to be like King's Bounty, then that series I managed to play and beat them, they were much shorter than the King's Bounty games, which I probably why I liked them.

You mentioned SM Pirates... you might like Patrician 3 (not 4). You play a Hanseatic League merchant trying to move up in the world by trading, manufacturing, building ships, fighting pirate fleets, a little dynasty building and some political manoeuvring, etc. If you like economic games with historical flavour, I highly recommend it. There's also Port Royale 2, made by the same company, but lighter on the economic side.

If you want a more recent game, you could also try Paradox's "Commander: Conquest of the Americas", the spiritual successor to East India Company.

Elite, Masters of Orion, Pirates! Civ 2! ... those were strategy games! It is nice to see a lot of people going back to retro-game styles and making games that focus on good game play and not all the other ... stuff. Though, as a fledgling artist, i do love the beautiful ones!