Sign in to follow this  
baconian

The City on RPS

Just to let peeps know about this great new Adam Smith article, spending a lot of time dwelling on Looking Glass's Thief series' 'The City' and relating this awesome atmospheric setting to strands of thought ranging through Dickens and GTA to literary tropes about decay and curiosity...

It reminds me of a Will Wright talk in its coherence and free intuitive association.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/13/outside-influences-of-crime-and-the-city/

This sort of thing is why I check RPS most days...

EDIT: HUGE Thief spoilers!

Edited by baconian

Yeah, that was great. I've found myself reading a lot more RPS lately.

Nice article and well timed, since I just finished Thief 1 & 2 for the first time after they came out on GOG. I'd played around with Thief 1 a little bit a long time ago but they've always been a glaring gap for whatever reason and I didn't get around to them properly until now. They've not aged too badly once you apply some graphical upgrades and fix the insane 1998 keybinds. The way the levels are constructed is really wonderful, especially the psychedelic parts in the first game.

The reshuffled contributors have definitely breathed some new life into RPS, I was getting a bit weary of it not so long ago.

I reread Butchering Pathologic recently as well and it's still great.

Although the Thief series became one of my favourite ever, I never finished the first game for various reasons. That article spoiled it a bit, but I still want to finish it some day. Unfortunately, I think I deleted my mid-game savegames again :(

Although the Thief series became one of my favourite ever, I never finished the first game for various reasons.

Me either; way back in the day, PC Gamer US reviewed the first Thief and said, "The sneaking is great, but the zombie levels really take away from the stealth gameplay." Because of that, I put off playing the game until after Thief II.

Then when playing Thief, I got to a zombie level and said, "this isn't as fun." I momentarily stopped playing.

Now it's like a decade later.

Actually the first time I played Thief (3-4 levels maybe) I didn't like it at all for some reason. I guess it was also after Thief II that I went back to the first one.