toblix

Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter

So, some guy started a Kickstarter for making a highly realistic tactical shooter. I was about to consider supporting it, but then the video ended with a clip of his little daughter with a (toy?) gun, which I found off-putting for some reason, and so I didn't. Also he spelled Tim Schaffer's name wrong.

Anyway, sounds like it could be a cool game – less broing and more pie-slicing.

It could be cool, but I am uncomfortable pledging money to an unproven team who have nothing to show for it yet. Maybe that's a bit backwards, since they need funds to develop, but hmmz. :hmph:

I'm suspecting this is gonna be a trend where developers are gonna try and kickstarter the funds for their game... Either way, I'm hesitant to drop cash on this.

A gazillion people will have been hastily throwing together Kickstarter pages since Double Fine hit 1M. DF are doing so well because they've already proven they can make excellent things.

A lot of potential backers probably share your reservations. I think their goal is set very high, and though the guy is clearly experienced (summary at the bottom of his page), the team he's formed aren't well known. He's going for a very niche project though, so maybe he'll get there.

Edit: There are some, uh, interesting rewards in there. Including, for $1000, "participate in conference calls with dev team members to express your ideas", and for $10K, a customised real gun.

#1 tip I've seen from people on Kickstarter: It's all, or nothing if you don't make your target. Setting a high goal makes little sense when you'll always have room to overshoot and can set expectations instead.

Can't say that anything on there really makes me want to donate, and I love shooters. I just can't see how what he's offering is going to me much more fun than, say, Battlefield. And if I want an ultra-realistic shooter there's always things like ARMA — which I have no interest in whatsoever.

It's also worth bearing in mind that shooter fans have pretty elevated expectations when it comes to production values, and what he's asking for (or even 10 times that) isn't going to go too far.

It's also worth bearing in mind that shooter fans have pretty elevated expectations when it comes to production values, and what he's asking for (or even 10 times that) isn't going to go too far.

Ah, yeah. I meant high for an unknown team asking strangers for money, not high for the kind of project he's proposing.

I suppose once you make your pledge, you receive an NDA and a waiver in the mail? I have very little faith that these guys will succeed. Even if they reach their kickstarter goal, I don't know if the final product will ever see the light of day (crowdsourcing a commercial game? hrmmm... I dunno).

I don't know... I'm all for a true continuation of Rainbow Six or Ghost Recond.

But I'm not sure if that's the game they're going to make. I have zero interest semi-rainbox six like games. The mod community has made quite a bunch of those for UT, UT2003/4. And none have prevailed in their goal. They all changed over time.