Tanukitsune

Mighty Switch Force! It's mighty good!

WayForward's latest came out yesterday for the eShop and it's pretty darn good!

It takes the concept from Mighty Flip Champs in a way, in MFC you had a button that switched "dimensions" and made blocks appears and disappear and had several layers of "dimensions" while MSF only has the block switching with one layer, which is much less confusing.

You play Patricia Wagon (Patty Wagon?) who must chase and capture the Hooligan Girls who have escaped the "patty wagon" and used a strange chemical to fill the area with monsters to cover their escape.

Patty can shoot, jump and switch blocks and to spice things up the game has different kinds of blocks you can switch. You have the "cannon" blocks which you shoot in a certain direction whatever is front of it before it's "switched", it can be you OR an enemy! "Lock" blocks, these blocks will stay locked and do not switch if you are standing on them.

It's pretty puzzle-y with a good dose of action too, and since you have limited hit points (sometimes enemies drop more) the game doesn't hold your hand, three hit and you have to do the whole stage again.

While the game only has 16 stages, they are varied and get more complex and challenging, challenging enough so you won't be all the levels on your first try, but fair enough to not be frustrating.

The pixel art of WayForward is always great and this game actually has some 3D in it despite it being in 2D, I heartily recommend this game for those who want a nice puzzle platform game!:tup:

So a free add-on was just pushed out to this game today, five new levels and a bunch of other small technical enhancements. (They added a retry button and apparently tweaked the graphics in some small way I'm not really noticing.)

Just load up the 3DS shop and it should tell you to update the game if you already have it.

Unfortunately, i can't play these new levels because you have to finish all preceding levels before those open up, and the final level of the main game just destroys me.

Anyways, a free expansion for one of the best digital download games on the 3DS. (It also seems to be a dollar or two cheaper now than when it launched.)

Basically just a reminder that this is a thing people should totally play.

Another reason to look into Mighty Switch Force would be the soundtrack, I have never played the game but I go the soundtrack from the indie game music bundle and was blown away. Lead me to the composers site where I wound up buying a few more of his soundtracks. Really dig his style.