ThunderPeel2001

Bitchy thread tags

I suppose some of us get very attached to grammar.

It's a case of you taking shit too seriously and not expressing yourself well, Tanu.

And that's all I have to say on the matter, because it's pissing me off.

:(

. . .

:getmecoat

Edited by Orvidos

EDIT: oops

Edited by JamesM

It's not that hard to be less hostile to Tanukitsune. He's offended by the tags, so why not just stop writing them? I think decency supersecedes whatever you think of how he's acting.

And I'm going to go ahead and be an asshole for the first time. I'll remove it if it offends someones chi.

Wubbles, I want the tags gone, you'll note. They're not used for much other than sniping. Which I, personally don't have a problem with for the most part. They're usually in fun (though the 'blix does complain a lot :mock:) and they don't hurt anyone seriously. . .except apparently Tanu.

No-one said anything about him and he comes into the thread, and I quote (literally!). . .

Should I even dare speak my voice? I guess I have too...

I have no idea why the "trolls" thinks I'm a drama queen (or they are just calling me a drama queen because they are button pushers). One of the biggest problems with the internet is that you aren't reading this is the same voice I'm writing it...

Besides the "tanu doesn't get it" tag, which I honestly do not know the add-time of (before or after he commented), nothing was said about him in the thread. Add to this the fact the the poor guy often makes badly-phrased or circular arguments, and then completely changes the argument topic if he can't simply convince you. Finally, he needlessly martyrs himself whenever people don't understand him, and you can see why some people might be slightly annoyed. I have nothing against him (though I do pointedly avoid his 'debates') but I couldn't blame people for having an issue with him.

I don't explicitly want to be mean to you Tanu, but coming into a thread and going "Woe is me!" when no-one has said anything, is simply annoying and tiresome.

/asshole

By "you" I didn't specifically mean you. :mock:

Well no, but I've earned a reputation as an Internet Asshole and I figured I might as well use it from time to time. I like everyone on these forums, you all are probably the most intelligent, humorous corner of the internet I've ever found, but. . .

Tanu just. . .I can't take it anymore. You are tearing me apart, Lisa!

I don't think I've made any really bitchy tags. I mostly forget they're there, then find them pretty funny when I remember about them, but I've not checked or added any recently.

Tanu, I will try to be less of an ass to you in my posts. Your frequent use of ellipses can make your posts hard to read, and using them is a habit I once fell into myself.

I'm sorry, but I pay attention to the tags, and it's pretty safe to say that I'm the target of most of the "bitchy tag" abuse, whoever posted the "bitchy tag" in the Valve replay thread removed it, something they never did for me and I've been asking them to be removed for MONTHS! You seriously expect me to not participate on a thread about this issue and mention my issue?

Are you saying that if someone starts a threads called ""X" happened to me.", other people who have experienced "X" aren't allowed their say? That's nonsense! If this was a thread about people complaining about "moon logic" puzzles and I made a post about my bad experiences nobody would have said a thing! This is a thread about "bitchy tag abuse", I've been experiencing it, I posted, that is all.

Was this all for grammar? Are you telling me you guys are been abusing the tags and creating turmoil because you don't like my ellipses abuse? And you thought taunting me in the tags will "Tanu doesn't get it!" translates into "Ellipsis abuse"? I've actually been trying to stop it, but once again, I see people abusing ellipses in this thread too, so why was I the only target?

What did I just say about people not reading and not giving a damn? I'm merely mildly miffed and people are acting like I'm about to jump out of a window. Where are getting "Woe is Tanu"? I've already said I know this thread wasn't about me, but I have to have my say in it? Considering Thunder was one of the few people on the "Lay off Tanu a bit" side I wouldn't be surprised if he meant this for other people who have gotten "bitchy tags".

And these tags do create tension in the forums, remember the "positive thread" that was created after one of the "tag attacks" a few months ago? Half of the damn tags in the Sony thread are about people telling the others to leave me alone, which only made things worse.

90% of the threads I post in end in me getting tag abuse, me mentioning the tag abuse, people reacting to my reaction and people feeling uncomfortable and tense.... and it seems it also happens when I don't mention them too.

Like I've said before, people are seeing drama where there is debate and "this is getting annoying" doesn't translatable to "I can't take it anymore! WAAAA!".

Seriously, if this is all about ellipses change the tags to "ellipses abuse" and I'll try my best to use them less frequently, "Tanu doesn't get it" doesn't translate to "ellipses abuse", it translates to "Tanu is probably not that smart, but I'm not going to say it".

Tanu you really. . .just don't get it.

I said you came in going "Woe is Tanu!" because the thread was simply discussing tags and the use and removal/keeping there-of, and you blew in from left field with;

"Am I crying and about to slit my wrists? I'm laughing at your stupidity? Am I being sarcastic? Am I angry? You can not tell, but the trolls seem to be convinced that every post I make is some sort of troll bait for them or I cry for help, I dunno..."

This discussion wasn't about "How have we picked on Tanu" It's a "Are tags bad, Y/N, Leave/Take Away" discussion. The rest of your post is on topic and helpful to the discussion, but martyring yourself off the bat makes me view what would have otherwise been a poignant post in a dim light.

And I can only come to two conclusions on the matter;

- You're either doing it on purpose.

- You are woefully unaware of your. . .discussion habits.

Either way, I don't think I'm going to be able to discuss the issue with you without you blowing it out of proportion/misinterpreting it (which I may admittedly being doing), so it's the last I'll say on the matter, I suppose.

That quote is taken out of context. :blink:

Once again, you are misreading and misinterpreting what I said and putting words in my mouth which is getting sore with all the words people are shoving down it.

I've already said that I'm totally aware that this thread is not about me, but as a "victim" of tag abuse I should at least say something.

I'm trying to explain that people are skimming, misinterpreting and misreading and seeing what isn't there. I say "I like cats" you hear "I hate dogs"

And yes, you misinterpreted me. Blowing it out of proportion? You are seeing drama were there is mild annoyance.

Frankly, you just proved my point of people skimming, misquoting, misreading and misinterpreting more "serious" threads. Which seems to be in most of my "discussion habits" lately, but unfortunately true. (And no, I'm not saying people are misreading ME, I've seen it happen to others, you're putting words in my mouth again).

I've never made any tags directed at you Tanu. While Patters expressed it badly, he has a valid point about you overusing ellipses and it making your posts hard to read. I was trying to express it in a kinder way.

I've never made any tags directed at you Tanu. While Patters expressed it badly, he has a valid point about you overusing ellipses and it making your posts hard to read. I was trying to express it in a kinder way.

Yes, and I'm going to try my best to stop the ellipses abuse, but you must understand it must be upsetting to find out that part of the "tag abuse" was from this ellipses abuse that never really directly addressed, right?

If people has just told me to try to use less ellipses, I would of done it, I remember a LONG time ago that someone pointed out that my writing needed more spacing instead of being one large wall of text with no pauses, so I tried my best to use paragraphs, people stopped complaining.

You guys probably didn't know this but while I was born in an English speaking country, I moved while I very young to Spain, so who knows, maybe I missed something important about writing structure and grammar, so I am being completely serious when I'm asking what I'm doing wrong.

(Post deleted, and subbes' crisps have been taken away. Ed.)

Edited by subbes

This thread is about bitchy thread tags, I've received a lot of those so it's only logical that I post here, were exactly did I say this was about me? It's logical that more people would talk about me since the rest of discussion was pretty much over and I'm the only person with unresolved tags issues, so maybe this thread is actually about me, because I'm the biggest "victim" of tag abuse.

But were are on Earth are you getting that every thread I'm in has to be about me? Once again, it's looks to me that it's a case of I say "I like cats" and you hear "I hate dogs".

(Post deleted, and subbes has been restrained in a secure facility. Ed.)

OH NOW COME ON WHO PUSHED ME DOWN THIS WELL THERE ARE SPIDERS IN HERE

Edited by subbes

I don't give a fuck about ellipses, but I will say that the sony thread did prompt me to tag it 'tanu do u work 4 sony?' because to be honest, Tanu you were making some very odd (to my mind) remarks about the fracas they are in, defending them to the hilt, and saying that you'd be paranoid to order a new credit card.

Seeing as I had just posted that I did order a new credit card over it, I did not feel like getting into a 'debate' about that, and I noticed that someone else had tagged the thread 'tanu doesn't get it'.

I agreed with this so added a tag. I hadn't even noticed the tags on idle threads up to this point.

Anyway, I think the point is that I used the tag to make a point about a debate that I didn't feel comfortable, but probably should have, made in the thread, so my bad.

Maybe after all this we can agree on a tag policy that keeps everyone happy?

:spiraldy:

Well no, but I've earned a reputation as an Internet Asshole and I figured I might as well use it from time to time.

You don't have that reputation here, AFAIC. But if every thread you posted in started having "internet asshole" added to it, whether you were being an asshole or not, it might wear you down. It doesn't matter if the people posting them think it's funny.

[thunderrant on]

What we're talking about here is bullying, plain and simple.

There's plenty of recent examples of sniping comments aimed at individuals, but let's take the one I used at the beginning of this thread, as it's recent and doesn't involve Tanu. Also I can talk about it without fear of putting words into other people's mouths, because it was aimed at a debate I was involved in.

While you're in the middle of a debate in a forum, it can be a very stressful and unpleasant thing. On the one hand you're trying to get your point across in a fair way, on the other you're trying not to upset the rest of the forum as you derail a thread. And all the way through it you have no idea if it's going to escalate into personal insults.

Soon enough it becomes the first thing you think of when you visit the forums, and during a particularly heated debate it can play on your mind while you're away from the site.

You're both doing your best to remain civil, and you hope it's going to end well, but at the time it's stressful and unpleasant.

"What do you see?" "I see a bitch".

Ouch!

However that comment was intended, it's only likely to rile the participants. It's also possible that it will escalate the argument, turn the atmosphere more sour, and derail the thread further. Not to mention just plain insult members of the community in a very cowardly manner.

How is this a good thing?

A community's opinion of its members is one of ways that helps keep behaviour in check. This is why YouTube, BBC comments and the IMDb are so notorious for their rude comments and horrible atmosphere. It's also why it's possibly to exert so much pressure on arguably disruptive members like Tanu. (Try doing that on IMDb or YouTube!)

When a community starts exerting pressure in an anonymous way, it takes a step backwards towards these notorious sites. There's no accountability, so you can be as rude as you like, and no-one can ever be taken to task. The person's behaviour whom the community seeks to "correct" is likely to become more defensive, and so ultimately damage the community atmosphere further.

Conversations with Tanu calmly asking him to change how he behaves are worth a million times more than a "tanu doesn't get it" thread tag.

It's a shame because I was a huge fan of thread tags. They allowed for some wonderfully meta comedy (check this thread's tags for some great examples). But as soon as it becomes personal. As soon as it's at the expense of someone else, then it's ultimately a destructive force in the community.

I would like to see either of two things happen: 1. Tags become accountable in some way (e.g. hold the mouse over them and the author's name pops up) or 2. They're removed altogether.

I'd prefer the accountability option, but removing them altogether does accurately follow the "this is why we can't have nice things" principle.

I would like to see either of two things happen: 1. Tags become accountable in some way (e.g. hold the mouse over them and the author's name pops up) or 2. They're removed altogether.

:tup: I support the motion to vote:oldman: then let people settle the rest of their personal grief using PM.

I can't see the content of the code bit in the following page, but option 1. seems easily implementable and would work for existing tags.

Edited by vimes

Yes, and I'm going to try my best to stop the ellipses abuse, but you must understand it must be upsetting to find out that part of the "tag abuse" was from this ellipses abuse that never really directly addressed, right?

If people has just told me to try to use less ellipses, I would of done it, I remember a LONG time ago that someone pointed out that my writing needed more spacing instead of being one large wall of text with no pauses, so I tried my best to use paragraphs, people stopped complaining.

You guys probably didn't know this but while I was born in an English speaking country, I moved while I very young to Spain, so who knows, maybe I missed something important about writing structure and grammar, so I am being completely serious when I'm asking what I'm doing wrong.

It's not from that neccessarily, just a specific problem that makes everything you write hard to read, making your, usually unclear, point even harder to decipher. I also did tell you to decrease your use of ellipses.

:tup: I support the motion to vote:oldman: then let people settle the rest of their personal grief using PM.

I can't see the content of the code bit in the following page, but option 1. seems easily implementable and would work for existing tags.

Very much this.

Excellent. This would be my preference, too. :tup: