Tanukitsune

Haunted House is... Haunted House!

Remember Haunted House on the Atari 2600? They somehow made a remake of it...

The original game is about a man running in a dark house evading ghosts and critters while trying to find an urn and escape the haunted house, the remake is... more or less the same?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think you played as the grandchildren of the hero of the original game? Although I'm not sure how that would work unless the hero already had children in the original game?:erm:

Anyway, grandpa was last seen in a spooky house, where the kids decided to investigate!

The gameplay has evolved quite a bit from the original game, you must search in boxes, shelves and other places for items to help you in the quest, you will mostly get items that give you light, you begin with matches, and then you'll find cellphones (in an ancient mansion? :hmph: ), flares, candles, torches, lanterns and others.... Some last a long time but barely light, other burn out quickly but are very bright.... The lantern being the best in both light and duration.

You can't really fight the enemies in the game, in the beginning only lighting a fireplace (which acts a checkpoint) will kill the enemies in the room and you'll be forced to evade the rest, the light of torches and lanterns do a bit of damage to the enemies, holy hand grenades, which kill everything in the area and are very rare and then there are the game breaking items.... There are four not too hard to find items that kill everything in the area and last indefinitely but need a time to recharge...

There are also keys, obviously, coins.... which serve NO PURPOSE, journal entries from grampa and the previous inhabitants of this house, treasures that serve no purpose but at least some of them have funny descriptions and "magic lanterns", magic lantern are colored lanterns than uncover "secret" areas, they aren't that secret, if you see a blocked door and you can see there is actually something on the other side of the door, you know you need to find a magic lantern to get inside, they also can complicate the game a little since you can only carry two items (you could only carry one in the original) and you could actually mess up and drop the lantern you need to get inside an area INSIDE that area.

The game also has "bosses", which involve spamming the magic light item until you win...:mock:

The characters talk, a lot! I played as the girl who kept saying "JINKIES!", "ZOINKS!", "NOT COOL!", "OMG!".... I guess she can't decide which decade she's from....:blink:

There is one very annoying thing.... I once said that some people don't really test all difficulty levels and this game proved it... I played the demo on normal only to get murdered by spiders, so I played on easy... where the spiders are still deadly.... Every other enemy on easy can barely damage you, even the bosses, but the spiders? They can kill you in a couple of hits!

When I got this game from the Halloween sale, I kinda expected a bad game, but it's just Haunted House... it's not revolutionary, but it does feel like proper Haunted House remake, but it does feel a bit rushed, the useless coins are proof of this.

I know we like Giant Bomb so here is a Quick Look they did, it does looks pretty cool from the standpoint of someone who never played the original. However, it seems like a game that you need to play around Halloween to get that certain feeling from it. Sadly I looked outside today to see snow so that's out of the question.

I will however probably pick it up around the holiday sale out of curiosity. And the whole Halloween feeling might turn into the ball up in blankets, stay in and enjoy a video game feeling.

Also on the topic of treasure in video games, why don't you want it? Its treasure; what more could you want? Its the riches of kings, the plateau of money. Finding treasure is the greatest reward. Think of what you could do with it all. Look past the achievements, look past the .jpgs, look past the game.

The only Halloween game to me is Costume Quest, the others are just horror games, or goofy horror games...

I love picking up treasure, but it kinda annoys me to think it was supposed to serve a purpose it never did!