Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Keyboard

So I have had this lame old Logitech keyboard for ages – it's so old it has a dedicated shopping button – and I wanted to get a new one, one that has the superior new layout I believe Logitech introduced, with the big delete button. I ordered the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, because I have that at work and love it, but on the same day I got it in the mail(today) I discovered it's useless for gaming. The key combination W+Shift+Space – jumping while running – does not work on this keyboard. So I investigate, and now I'm thrown into this crazy world of keyboard nerdery, discussions about rubber-dome/mechanical/cherry brown/ghosting/blocking/N-key rollover old IBM M-series scissor action HELL. No matter what I choose at this point it'll be horrible SHIT. It basically comes down to keyboard manufacturers saving a small amount per keyboard by reading keystrokes on an old fashioned matrix, which works fine for CASUAL GAMERS but sucks when you're bordering A THOUSAND APS pumping out 7 rax in SC2. This means I'm stuck with my old keyboard, waiting for Logitech (or someone) to produce a keyboard with the layout I want, but that also lets me jump and run.

I considered, briefly, the G19, but then decided I'd rather die than have a keyboard that required a separate PSU.

I use a Razer Lycosa which is pretty great, I haven't hit a problem with ghosting at all, but I don't know if I can fully recommend it with the Black Widow coming out (a mechanical keyboard from Razer at the same price point as the Lycosa).

I'm using the G15, and find it pretty fantastic for most uses. It's illuminated, the keys feel nice and solid, and it has that handy LED screen that displays the time/CPU & RAM usage/what's playing/game stats/whatever.

I haven't used the programmable keys much (in fact, I use the bottom two for copy and paste), but you now put the thought into my head of making some sweet SCII macros.

Also, and this is an even more dorky cosmetic thing that doesn't really matter than the LED screen, you can disable the windows key so that you don't accidentally pop open the start menu while gaming. And it's even a physical switch, with a joystick on it, so it feels so hardcore when you launch a game, put your sunglasses on, and flick your keyboard to "game on" mode.

So yeah, if you were considering the G19, I can definitely recommend the G15 as a viable alternative.

I'd actually rather get a Razer keyboard than the G15, but they all have that useless old key layout that I've gotten unused to.

Maybe I should just revert to the old layout, as that seems to give me more flexibility. I hate change.

As a side topic, I really wish manufacturers would band together and come up with an updated keyboard layout. The giant delete key is good, because really, fuck Insert hard with a broken bottle.

Print screen is handy, but his buddies scroll lock and Pause/Break? Time to retire.

What else could be done to optimize keyboards?

I have a kinesis ergonomic keyboard but I spend more time gaming than typing, so ironically it hurts my arms more than a traditional keyboard :(

Logitech's G13 looks mighty tempting, because it has a little thumbstick you can use for analogue movement instead of the old fashioned WASD.

edit: Gah, apparently G13's thumbstick isn't analogue. that sucks.

Edited by Jayel

Jesus, apparently Razer decided it was a good idea to combine the F-keys and the media keys, so that to press play/pause means holding down Alt and pressing F7 or something. If only the Logitech Illuminated didn't have the blocking issue, I'd be such a happy man right now.

Jesus, apparently Razer decided it was a good idea to combine the F-keys and the media keys, so that to press play/pause means holding down Alt and pressing F7 or something. If only the Logitech Illuminated didn't have the blocking issue, I'd be such a happy man right now.

Not with the Lycosa they didn't. Though I reckon you could macro them onto the side hot-keys.

Good point. I'm not completely sold on the clackity-clack of the mechanical keyboard, though. It makes me think every time I play a game the keyboard will sound like the set of Mad Men.

Those Razer keyboards are looking pretty sweet. I hate the modern keyboards that have all kinds of useless media buttons. What I want is just a basic keyboard that is normal sized and without any kinds of extra unnecessary functions.

It's true that scroll lock and pause/break button are pretty much useless on modern keyboards, I can also say the same about num lock.

At the moment I have a basic keyboard from Logitech without anything extra, the bad thing about it is that it's made from the cheap shiny piano black plastic so fingerprints and dust are always visible. Would like to find someday a nice keyboard that is cordless.