Sign in to follow this  
Chuckpebble

Thumb Hunter Tri

picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=27

Just wanted to get one of these rolling and I figured, "What better way to drum up interest than a creepy cover art 'shop?"

Maybe all of these threads can have similar artwork? (Hermie?)

Here's the online stuff:

After creating a new character, you can choose City when loading a quest, which takes you online.

You then agree to a T.o.S. (thats the first I've seen one of them in a console game)

Next you select a server, and then within that server a city.

After all of that, bring up your options and go to:

Online>Player Search>Gate Search

Your name and ID will be in the top of this window.

I'll keep the following stuff updated as people add their info.

Player List:

EU Players

US Players

Chuckpebble - QK76QC - WiiSpeak & Keyboard

Edited by Chuckpebble
Added Deets

Yep. I'm going to do any online ventures with a keyboard handy too, though. Seems that only hunting companions with a wii speak can hear you. Strange and kind of a let down if true.

Cool, I've just ordered the big box thing, so I finally get to play virtual console too.

Cool, I've just ordered the big box thing, so I finally get to play virtual console too.

I saw an unboxing of that on the Tube. I won't link it for fear of spoiling it for you, though its easy enough to find I guess. Looks sweet. Consider me jealous.

Caveat. I don't think we're allowed to hunt together. There's NA, EU and JP servers that don't interact with each other unfortunately.

Edited by Chuckpebble
on the on the on the on the on the on the on the on the

what's the big box thing?

Edit: oh...you mean the edition of MHT that comes with that funky new classic controller?

Edit 2: I was really curious about playing this game and planned on getting it at some point, but then I watched the giantbomb quicklook of the demo, and it just seemed so cruel and grotesque. I guess I'd assumed the developers had a formula for making monsters so dispicable I wouldn't mind hunting them...but it gave me the feeling that reader mail described that was talking about the worm in Gears 2 (now...see, the worm in Gears 2 was something I didn't mind fucking up).

Edit: oh...you mean the edition of MHT that comes with that funky new classic controller?

Edit 2: I was really curious about playing this game and planned on getting it at some point, but then I watched the giantbomb quicklook of the demo, and it just seemed so cruel and grotesque. I guess I'd assumed the developers had a formula for making monsters so dispicable I wouldn't mind hunting them...but it gave me the feeling that reader mail described that was talking about the worm in Gears 2 (now...see, the worm in Gears 2 was something I didn't mind fucking up).

They have a new QL up about the full game, if you're interested.

Once I finish my uni work, I'll get it. ETA 1-2 weeks!

I would like to trade some old Wii and DS games to this or NSMBWii/Mario Kart Wii at one local shop.

This looks really cool, but I doubt I would have the time to invest into the multiplayer part. I also don't have a Wii Speak...

Well, in the US, there is a bundle that has the game and the Classic Controller Pro, which I didn't get, but is quite popular and may be sold out at the moment. The cool thing about that is if you buy the bundle you save $10 over getting both items separately.

What I was actually talking about was the

box which is only available in Europe. Its a cardboard treasure chest that includes:

• Game
  • Classic Controller Pro in black
  • Wii Speak
  • Lagiacrus Figurine

Yes, I can sympathize with your concern here. It doesn't feel cruel and grotesque to me though, it feels pretty tame compared to bisecting dudes with a beam sword just a few weeks ago. I did however feel kind of shocked when I was first asked to kill something.

There are these herbivores that are grazing in a meadow while you're on your way to visit a base camp out in the field. The village chief told me that I should kill one and carve some raw meat to bring to his son at the camp. There were 3 big ones and a little guy just milling around chewing on grass. I was kind of shocked at this request because the things are totally docile, I was just walking right among them and they didn't seem to mind me at all.

I then decided that two of the larger beasts were the parents of the little one and that it was OK to take out one of the three larger ones that wasn't part of the family. I killed the one that was farthest away. Shut up, that was the loner, I know it.

Anyway, after the deed the chief mentions that every part of the animal is used. I stood over the carcass and carved it twice for raw meat before it disappeared like so many felled trees in animal crossing. I was still a little weird about it until I returned to the village later and found that besides what you carve from the animal, you also get other resources from the kill when you log your hunt in the town. So I came to the realization that the animals in question are basically cattle. Being an omnivore myself, I no longer have any regrets about this.

As far as the other critters go, there are these little guys that look like deer. Turns out you get the best drops from them by NOT killing them, but knocking them unconscious. Everything else that I've killed was either trying to eat me, an icky bug or a fish, and fish don't have any feelings, so thats OK too.

This looks really cool, but I doubt I would have the time to invest into the multiplayer part. I also don't have a Wii Speak...

Tell me about it, somehow my semester worked out so that I have 3 differential equations tests, 2 tests and a final, in the next 3 weeks in a row. I really shouldn't be playing this game right now.

I got the game and put in about 20 minutes, I really wish the Wii was HD. The classic controller pro feels pretty great. It feels very similar to Phantasy Star online, which is a great thing.

The version I ordered also included a second head of a different dragon monster, which seems to be of higher quality than the standard one.

I got the game and put in about 20 minutes, I really wish the Wii was HD.

Yes absolutely. Regardless, the first time I left the village at night... just WOW.

The version I ordered also included a second head of a different dragon monster, which seems to be of higher quality than the standard one.

So you got a Lagiacrus and something else? Cool! Can you post pics?

EDIT:

So I finally watched the "Quick" Look at Giant Bomb. Pretty good. I like how they named their hunter Goldblum. To anyone who's watched it, its a good representation of how you'll fare with the game in the first 2 hours, which is to say, you'll be confused and maybe a little overwhelmed. Don't worry after 5 hours you'll be fine.

Here's some of me playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jcCEUe-PNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CuTTr9pxjk

Note that I edited out the load screens.

Edited by Chuckpebble