Sign in to follow this  
Garple

XBLA Strategy

I was playing a little Greed Corp., and it dawned on me I should put out the call to see if there was anyone interested in a little strategy gaming of any kind on the X360. I ask because I'm sure those of us who would play games like this on the xbox are in the vast minority so it would be interesting to see if we could find a few people who were interested in the occasional round of Magic the Gathering, Catan, Panzer General, Worms etc... Does anyone have Greed Corp.?

I'm totally up for Thumbs strategy gaming! Tell me more about this... Greed Corp.

HOLY SHIT DARWINIA+.

That is, Darwinia+ is a great game with barely anybody playing it, so some one should do that.

I'm totally up for Thumbs strategy gaming! Tell me more about this... Greed Corp.

Greed Corp is a hex-grid turn-based game in which you collect resources by harvesting the environment. You destroy tiles little by little as you harvest them for resources so you have to strike a balance between preserving your territory and having enough resources to defeat your opponent. It's got a really nifty, quaint aesthetic too. It's pretty simple and easy to get into.

Blix, or anyone else, PM me if you happen to buy Greed Corp or you want to "get together" for some kind of other 360 strategy gaming.

Giant Bomb had a quick look EX (meaning: with the developers) of it a while back. I remember finding the game pretty intriguing, but then forgot about it. How much is it running for?

Giant Bomb had a quick look EX (meaning: with the developers) of it a while back.

WHY IS EVERYONE IGNORING MY POST? Angryface etc.

WHY IS EVERYONE IGNORING MY POST? Angryface etc.

Sorry. I noticed your post, but figured I'd explain the game a little too, in case someone didn't feel like watching the quicklook.

I was more bothered by Miffmaff's wanton duplication. The man is a menace.

Sorry. I was only trying to say that I'd seen it and knew the idea, but still wasn't sure about it.

Aanyway, is this something people want to try? I know there's almost as many different thumbs multiplayer sessions as there are days in the week, but if enough of us want to strategize, there could be a thing, no? Not that I'm any good at strategy.

Not that I'm any good at strategy.

That's the best part. It's a rare opportunity to play strategy games on a level playing field. I'm a console gamer, of course I'm no good at strategy...:grin:...but that's part of the reason I'm interested in trying it on for size. Strategy games seem very foreign and exotic.

I'd be down for some of the board game ports they've done. Catan, Ticket To Ride (I'd need to buy this, but play the board game all the time and love it), Carcassonne, etc. Much deeper strategy than that and I start to get intimidated, but I'd be up for a go now and then.

Much deeper strategy than that and I start to get intimidated, but I'd be up for a go now and then.

Greed Corp is pretty simple. There are only a handful of mechanics and units.

Edit: Also it's only $10. Or there's always one of the Worms games. I guess it's mostly Miffy, Blix and I for this, so guys: how bout we either take a vote on the stuff we'd be interested in playing and then we could set a time for our first session. I don't know about you guys, but I'm willing to buy a game or two for this...and also, I don't expect it to be regular because I know there are a lot of other weekly multiplayer events.

I suppose I'm most up for Greed Corp, Worms or Catan, though any others are fine. And Miffy, don't worry about intimidation, nobody it's just Blix and I and we've already said we're not strategists. Think of it as a chance to get your first taste of strategy gaming alongside others who are also totally green.

Also, the columns collapsing looks pretty sweet.

Like I said, the aesthetic is very nice. Quaint, but very nice. Try the demo and see what you think?

I have Catan and Worms, so those are fine. I'm probably going to wait a while before getting Greed Corp, so you and 'blix can have your goes at that for a while before I drop the cash, I guess.

I will buy it. Now: what's the most efficient way to sort out our timezone differences. I'm free most afternoons, eastern-standard time US.

Also: Let's check into Xbox Live Indie Games, since the cost of entry is really low.

Tigsource wants us to know about this game http://tigsource.com/articles/2010/03/29/crate-expectations

It's probably, like, a dollar (80 points).

Ok, guys, I just started up the Catan demo...and I don't know if it's just my current mood...but I was all...bleh. Can you just explain to me briefly what's cool about the game. And does it take a little bit to really "get into it"?

I'm still willing to buy it...really I just really want to start gaming with thumbs as much as I possibly can regardless of what the game is because I don't really have any friends around where I live (they're all scattered at different colleges) and I need some social interaction.

It would be nice if I could game online with my diaspora-ed friends, but I only took up video games after the whole college thing kicked off and I found myself friendless, so I never happened to make friends with anyone who was much of a "gamer" (I hate the term "gamer", by the way...who's with me?).

HOLY SHIT DARWINIA+.

That is, Darwinia+ is a great game with barely anybody playing it, so some one should do that.

Isn't it only single player, though? I have it on Steam.