Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Wright leaves EA

Will Wright, famous designer of “Sim City,” “The Sims,” and “Spore” is leaving Electronic Arts, his publisher announced today. Wright will be running the Stupid Fun Club, an organization he started in 2001 with EA and had used for robot experiments, TV pilots and other offbeat ideas for years.

Cool.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/04/08/will-wright-leaves-ea/

I thought we had a Will Wright smiley but apparently we don't. :reggie:

Cool.

Is it? Is it? As hard-nosed investigative journalists (past or present), have you guys, or anybody you know, seen anything that had come out of this 'Stupid Fun Club'? Was M.Y. Robot worth watching? This spin-off studio may be neat, but it may also lead to nothing but disappointment.

Is it? Is it? As hard-nosed investigative journalists (past or present), have you guys, or anybody you know, seen anything that had come out of this 'Stupid Fun Club'? Was M.Y. Robot worth watching? This spin-off studio may be neat, but it may also lead to nothing but disappointment.

I hope that focusing more strongly on the Stupid Fun Club means that we'll get to see some of Will Wright's "side-interests" actually given some attention/funding. Or, whatever, I also wouldn't complain if he was just doing this to get a smaller team again. He has done it in the past, leaving the Maxis HQ after the Sims went big, forming a smaller external satellite team to work on Spore. This seems like it could just be a more formalized version of that. But I also wouldn't mind seeing some crazy robots or a rebirth of the Soviet space program or whatever else he's working on.

I'm just a bit surprised that I had never heard of this group before. Hadn't the vgrazzi followed Wright to the secluded shack filled with robots and life-sized, batman-suit-wearing Michael Jackson statues at some point in the last 8 years? What weird things, besides a Cytek-licensed TV pilot, did the Stupid Fun Club work on. God damn it, journalists - journalize!

It's been mentioned here and there, like when newspapers (NYtimes?) do a story on him. It's been a pretty low profile hobby project of his, I think. As Jake pointed out it may now have been turned into a vehicle for whatever he's thinking of doing next.

Or, yeah, maybe he's launching a new Sputnik. Fuck knows.

I just think it's cool that such a leading game designer has gone off to do his next thing semi-independently and also get himself a really cool deal with his former employer. This move appears similar to me to Bungie separating from Microsoft, or the Housers getting Take 2 to fund an additional non-Rockstar company to create new IP.