Thyroid

The Path - woah

:tmeh::tmeh:

What Noyb said above made me appreciate the control scheme a little more, but I am still ambivalent about it. I would be cool with do-nothing-in-the-vicinity-of-something-to-make-the-girl-do-her-thing mechanic, if only the walking and running and looking around did not feel so broken. If only there was a more conventional mouse look, I would be fine.

Been mulling over the movement controls since I went back to finish the game last week.

The walk speed is so laboriously slow that you're tempted to run. However, running has quite a few side effects. The camera rises and tilts down, giving a feeling like you're being chased and making it harder to see where you're going. The screen slowly dims, which also makes it harder to see. The flowers which can be used to mark places you haven't been (if you compulsively collect them) fade away. Your character occasionally veers in a slightly different direction. The overall effect is to get an impatient player even more lost in the woods. The game wants you to walk, punishes you for running, but always gives you the choice (at least outside of the wolves' lairs). Interesting effect, though it did get annoying on subsequent playthroughs when the novelty wore off and I just wanted to experience the story.

Pretty sure the sense of claustrophobia and weakness would be hurt if you had free mouselook, too.