Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbs

Multiple disasters strike New Eden!

Breaking news reports from across space!

Galactic commentators are starting to ask questions about the extent of the disturbance in and around Seyllin I - what has caused the disaster? An entire planetary population is being evacuated, 1 fleet has vanished and probes are disappearing without trace.

More news as it appears.

http://www.eveonline.com/apocryphabreakingnews/

As more reports filter through, it is emerging that the anomalies all occurred around a similar time. Reporters are being detained by miltary authorities for releasing information about mysterious energy sources near the local suns...

Weeeee! I'm actually starting an EVE trial account today, have been waiting for the expansion to try it out since the whole goonswarm debacle piqued my interest in the game. Have a friend whos gonna hook me up with a few million ISK for a ship and whatnot :tup:

Yeah, but is it just them posting a story on the web site and adding quests, or is actual awesome shit taking place in-game?

SYSTEM X7O-MU – The Sisters of EVE have released an unprecedented general warning to "all space faring travelers of New Eden" that they are forecasting the imminent formation of multiple wormholes throughout the cluster. The claim from the reclusive humanitarian organization comes amidst one of the most deadly natural catastrophes in modern history, as Seyllin and at least three other systems have been devastated by a main-sequence anomaly within the last several hours.

The highly technical warning states that "multiple instances of defect-mediated turbulence in the fabric of spacetime have been detected in various locations throughout the cluster," and that the sightings "coincide with the erratic behavior of multiple star systems, many of which are unreported, all throughout New Eden."

I'm guessing the first one. It's likely the roll-out of the latest expansion/update.

Yeh, it's basically backstory via 'news reports' that are filling the time while the new update is applied. Servers due to come back up around 16:00 GMT, although with the massive changes to the universe and the fact they're adding a new SAN, chances are it will be down for a day or so.

The update will contain wormholes, new enemies, better enemy AI, tech 3 modules, engineering, construction and craft, modular ships, attribute respecs, skill queueing, UI-revamp, upgraded graphics and sound and russian localisation.

In an apparent confirmation of New Eden's worst fears, the flotilla of rescue ships above Seyllin I has left orbit and are pushing towards the system’s stargates. SCOPE News vessels attempting to defy system-wide evacuation orders were fired upon by Federation Navy warships.

All communications with the planet Seyllin I have ceased. Automated efforts to restart fluid router transmissions have failed, and distress signals emanating from the system have gone silent.

My mind was still contemplating the Seyllin disaster. Guaranteed half the galaxy would be there by now, by turns trying to see if there was anyone who still needed help, salvaging or salvaging the salvagers. The entire galaxy's sweep of personalities would be there, jostling for position and a quick buck. The very best and worst of humanity.

It was too far from me. SCOPE had reported 4 in total, there were bound to be more. Wormholes could wait. The Amarr could not.

The comms array barked. I glanced up at the resolute face of an Alliance council member. "Brethren. We have found one. Report immediately for duty if available."

Looks like I was right. There was no need to ask what had been found. I wasn't going to leap across space to fight others, but one nearby? Hell yes!

I looked at the ship rack. What to fly. An unknown quantity. My eyes flicked over the Wolf, it's deadly form waiting. Too expensive. Need to know what's out there. I looked at my Rupture. Ahh, the trusty Rupture. It's been too long since I flew a cruiser.

A few minutes later I was dropping into the blackness of space - some of the Alliance were already through into unknown space, I could hear the radios crackling, voices filled with wonder. Then, controlled, clipped tones cut in, "Targets located. Warp in on my position." Engaging! Already!

"Requesting co-ordinates for Wormhole travel."

"Warp in on me, pilot. What are you flying?"

"A Rupture."

"We jumped through and located a drone complex, origins unknown. The drones attacked immediately without warning - it appears they are some sort of automated defence. Aggressive. Thus far we have killed one frigate, but it was tough. I hope you've got an armour buffer fitted, else you are not going to last long in a Rupture."

"Roger."

As I approached the anomaly, my eyes opened in wonder. The object in front of me was confusing to the eye. It was translucent, but not. Shifting colours swirled into each other and distorted the starfield view around it from the gravity lensing. As the familiar fear gripped my stomach, I told the computer to lock and jump.