Sign in to follow this  
Nachimir

PS3 WPA >:(

So, the LGF is over and I can finally get Wipeout HD and sink some time into it... but only if I disable wireless security on my router :tdown:

(:violin:)

A few months ago we changed our wireless security to WPA, because WEP is donkey bollocks: unsecure, temperamental, and every time we tried to get anything new to connect to it, it was inevitably a massive hassle.

WPA took anything we could throw at it, immediately. Wii, 360, DS, assorted cellphones, MacBooks running Leopard, desktop systems and laptops spanning ten years with assorted versions of windows and USB or internal wifi adapters. All fine, so we just assumed the fucking PS3 would work with it too, but no. It's like a frigid lover. Strategy chocolate without the strategy. It's like Sony have personally put a paedophile in my local swimming pool.

Tech support amounts to "If WPA doesn't work, use something unsecure like WEP or MAC filtering" :( + :finger: + :tfart:

Nach - Check your key dude! Although the PS3 lets you enter any character in the WPA code field, it doesn't appear to work with any of the dollar characters etc. It drove me nuts for ages. Try just using letters and numbers. It will work then. Just make the key longer to make up for not using characters.

Thanks but it's not that, our key is just alphanumeric with nothing special in there.

I've tried inputting all the IP/DNS settings manually too, no dice. Going to try a firmware upgrade on the router later. Failing that, I may disable security just to log in and buy Wipeout HD, then hope it works when the PS3 is offline.

I've also been thinking of buying an OpenWRT compatible router, but it's not exactly high on the wishlist.

You may have got the wrong setting then - in your router, you can have different types of WPA: WPA, WPA2, WPA-PSK, WPA-TKIP etc. Make sure it matches when you choose the type pf WPA on the PS3.

Sorry if you've done all that already :/

I use WPA-PSK on my PS3 with no problems, are sure it's not just your router and some sort of incompatibility? I hate wireless anyway, it's so unpredictable and bloody annoying to setup sometimes. My laptop works for everyone else but whenever I pick it up it suddenly decides to crap out on me. I don't understand it - I've resorted to carrying around those plugs you can stick ethernet cables in.

Thanks for your input Norfolk and Cigol. It seems the PS3 just didn't like the netgear router at all.

Since it's a creaky old thing this house has had for years and it frequently craps out, I bought us a Linksys WRT150N, which can be reflashed with DDWRT, Open-WRT, and even just using the vanilla firmware works absolutely fine with the PS3, 360, and it seems everything else except the DS (they only support WEP, but I never use it online anyway) :tup: