Sign in to follow this  
toblix

PS3 PS2 Emulation

Remind me again why the hardware emulation is preferable to the software one. Is it just game support? Won't this be less of an issue as updates are released (provided they are)?

Mostly because Sony have pretty much said that they're no longer interested in providing software updates, making the software emulation we have now about the best it's going to be. That's not actually that bad, really. Honestly, if the 60GB PS3 I got had been priced equivalently to an 80GB instead of $200 less, I would have gone with the 80 and had software instead of hardware BC. I'd gone through the list of compatible games on Sony's website and couldn't see any glaring omissions. They have a handy little search engine where you can type in a PS2 game's name and see everything related to it's backwards compatibility, known glitches, framerate issues, etc. Kinda nice. It's right here. I'd typed in pretty much ever game in my collection that I'd want to get running again on a PS3 and couldn't see any problems. Even has full support for Mister Mosquito for god's sake.

Again, if they were more committed to updating their BC, there wouldn't be any problem at all. As is, it's still probably better than 360's BC support (why the hell can't I play Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath yet?) but it'll always be a bit preferable to have hardware support over software. With hardware, no problems at all. With software, even if a game is supported, there can still be issues. From what I've seen, MGS3 has a shit framerate on software emulation, but it works just fine on my 60GB PS3. On the 360's end, try playing Jet Set Radio Future on a 360, the Rokkaku Dai Heights or Sky Scraper District levels and marvel as your fluid game turns into a slideshow. Or at least, it did for me. I've heard MS has since updated the emulation for that one and it's gotten better. Which is exactly why Sony's abandoning of the emulation updates is so bad. At least MS can fix their broken emulation. Everything coming from Sony right now is saying, if it doesn't work quite right, don't bother hoping for improvement.

That sucks. What are the reasons I should try getting a 60GB PS3 one rather than just getting an 80GB and playing MGS3 on a PS2?

Convenience, mostly. I just wanted to be able to put my PS2 away and not have to worry about switching cables all the time. Now that I have a hardware BC PS3, I have been able to put the PS2 in the closet and not worry about any of my games not working. When I put my original Xbox away and had to deal with the 360's software BC, I ended up having to store a good chunk of my games with it. I already have to swap cables between 360 and PS3 when I want to play things on the one that isn't plugged in, and the access to the inputs on my computer monitor is a real pain in the ass to get to. If I had to do that for the PS2 as well, it would just be a bigger pain.

As I said though, it's not THAT big a deal, especially if you don't mind keeping the PS2 around for when you want to play PS2 games. Like I mentioned earlier, if they were equally priced, I would have gone 80GB. Turns out the 60GB was $200 cheaper, so I went for it and enjoyed the extra benefit of hardware BC. I would've been OK with software, or swapping with the PS2. It's just nice that I don't have to.

Bear in mind toblix that the european PS3s never had hardware emulation, so unless your planning on importing your choice is between software emulation in the older models and no emulation in the newer ones.

Very true. I'm speaking from the perspective of a Canadian gamer here, thus I enjoy the benefits of all the frills that the North American launch had. In Norway, I believe it's either find yourself a launch console with software BC or keep the PS2 around. Of course, there's no region locking on the PS3, so if you can find yourself a North American 20 or 60GB model, you do have that option. It'd take a hell of a lot more work and probably cost more than it'd be worth to you though. Especially as you don't seem to have a problem with keeping the PS2 near the TV.

Oh, and why do they even bother with these different versions? I mean, 20GB? 40GB? 60GB? Hey Sony, 1995 called and wanted their amount of storage space that was considered awesome back.

Think of it this way: With the way Capcom is going, pretty soon a 20GB PS3 will only be able to switch between 4 games at a time. Hooray for progress.