Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Weird PS3/Obituary combo

Sorry to upset those of you who may be expecting a laugh after that thread title, but it's actually an accurate description of what I'm writing about. I never title a thread until I know it's contents.

Anyway:

So today in the mail I received a cheque from Ipswitch, Queensland, Australia. My uncle passed away last summer and had not left a will, so the Public Trustee of Queensland has been running around tracking down my family members to divide up the estate. He was my father's only brother and had no children of his own, and given that my father passed away about 10 years ago, my sister and I were each due for a decent portion of the estate. Thing is, he also had Down Syndrome and had spent most of his adult life in a group home. Needless to say, I was expecting about $200 maximum. Well, surprise surprise, today I discovered a cheque that is actually around $1500.

What to do? Well, I happen to know that the EB Games near my house had about 3 60 gigabyte PS3s left two weeks ago. A month before that, they had 4, so I'm hoping there's still at least one left. They are selling these for about $400. I also have about a hundred dollars in gift certificates. Tomorrow, I believe I will be getting a PS3, and one that is backwards compatible, at that. The rest of the money goes into my savings account, of course, but there you have it. Not sure how PS3's online works, but any thumbs with a system feel free to add me to whatever friends list there is provided that I'm successful in getting one. Just a wild guess, but my screen name will probably be something like, I don't know, "Miffy495".

Anything people are thinking I should definitely be getting with the PS3, or in the several weeks following as cheques from work and so forth come in? I'm leaning towards Everyday Shooter, Fl0w, Uncharted, and Ratchet & Clank. If someone has something really strong to dissuade me from getting these, speak up. I don't think I'll get any full on games when I buy the system, rather wait until after my next paycheque so I make sure to save the rest of that estate money for school. Recommendations? Warnings? Let's hear something about the PS3 essentials here.

Not sure exactly how I feel about the money. It's nice to have, given that I'll be totally free of debts and getting a PS3. But then there's the whole business with my uncle. At least he had a long life. 65 is damned impressive for someone with Down Syndrome. I'll be toasting him tomorrow at dinner with the girl, and thinking of him every time I play. Cheers, uncle Neil. Wish we weren't on opposite ends of the planet so I could have made the journey to meet you more than I did.

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Miffy. You're right though; he certainly had a good innings considering his affliction.

As for the PS3, the only available game that's really piqued my interest in any sort of way is Uncharted. But then I never liked Tomb Raider, so it is only very slight.

PS2 backward compatibility is very appealing though -- grab one while you can, I say.

I'll do my best. All down to whether or not they still have them. If not, I guess since I'm already pretty committed I'll go for the 80GB. Fairly comprehensive BC is better than no BC at all. I went to Sony's website a while back and checked their compatibility list for games I have in my collection that I'd want to go back and play now and then, and it hit pretty much every target. Hell, they even support Mister Mosquito on the 80 gig. I wasn't really aware anyone else even knew that game existed...

I believe I can speak for alex and ben as well as myself when I recommend Heavenly Sword, we all thoroughly enjoyed it (as did alex's girlfriend). Uncharted also comes recommended from the same selection of people.

I believe I can speak for alex and ben as well as myself when I recommend Heavenly Sword, we all thoroughly enjoyed it (as did alex's girlfriend). Uncharted also comes recommended from the same selection of people.

Yes.

I'm leaning towards Everyday Shooter, Fl0w, Uncharted, and Ratchet & Clank. If someone has something really strong to dissuade me from getting these, speak up.

Not really. Uncharted is brilliant; Everyday Shooter is a great Every Extend Extra-like experience (except without the dance soundtrack); Fl0w is an interesting extension of Cloud if you ever played that - it's a pretty 'nothing' game in some ways but consciously so; and Ratchet & Clank is a very pretty and polished game in every sense: though it doesn't do anything that could be considered genuinely original or interesting from a game play perspective, it's still an enjoyable game.

As for others (obviously some of these are available on 360 too so ignore if you already own):

GT5 Prologue

Devil May Cry 4

Call of Duty 4

Super Stardust HD

WarHawk

Also big titles like LittleBigPlanet, MGS4 and Final Fantasy XIII will be dropping in the months to come, as well as a number of interesting PSN titles like Echochrome and Wipeout HD. Man, I sound like I work for Sony or something.

Also, sorry for your loss.

Also, sorry for your loss.

Thanks.

I was planning on getting DMC4 for 360, just because that's where I've played the demo now and also it's looking like it'll be about $10 cheaper. I also have CoD4 on PC. Warhawk is a maybe. Is there a trial or something? I've never really bought into the giant multiplayer war type of game, and that seems like all it has to offer. As for Echochrome and LittleBigPlanet, those are two of the main reasons I think a PS3 isn't a waste of money.

I was about to come in here and confess that Warhawk does seem to have potential too in my mind. :getmecoat

What's in the pipeline generally for PS3 sounds superb; Gran Turismo 5 sounds obscenely good for example, especially with the slick Home integration that seems to be coming along with it. And Little Big Planet looks like a neat co-op toy too.

I may well buckle at some point in the next couple of years and add a PS3 to my collection, but I want to see how it pans out first. I'm also more than happy with my 360 right now, plus I don't have the funds (unlike yourself).

Well, it's hooked up and updating right now. I gotta say, in 1080i, even the navigation bar looks pretty. Only setback is that I didn't buy any extra controllers as I've decided to wait a couple months for the one with rumble, so my roommates will have to live with trading around single player for a bit. Turns out that the system was $50 less than I expected, so I picked up a used copy of Uncharted as well. Won't have a chance to actually play anything for more than an hour or so until Sunday though, so I'll wait til then to give it a spin. I'll be signing up for a PSN account as soon as the update is done. Name: Miffy495 (of course). Hope to see some of you online.

EDIT: and Wrestle, I wasn't saying Warhawk wasn't good. Just that games in that genre have always had a hard time attracting my interests. Speaks more to my tastes as a gamer than anything about the game. I'll still give the trial a shot though, as people do seem to like it.

EDIT: and Wrestle, I wasn't saying Warhawk wasn't good. Just that games in that genre have always had a hard time attracting my interests. Speaks more to my tastes as a gamer than anything about the game. I'll still give the trial a shot though, as people do seem to like it.

That's cool. :peace:

I only made comment in the interests of not sounding like I was bashing the software line-up. Reviews of the latest Warhawk add-on are beginning to appear today and it reminded that that was another current PS3 game I liked the look of. :)