Sign in to follow this  
LOPcagney

Cloverfield (spoilers, of course)

So I just saw it tonight and I don't know how closely you all were following the pre-release hype, but I had mixed feelings. It was really fun and I found myself happily caught-up in the human story behind it.

But of course, instead of focusing on what was done well, I'm going to talk about the bad stuff. The monster, first of all, was really disappointing. It looked to evil. The mites that came off it were cool and creepy, but the thing it self suffered horribly from obviously CG-ed effects. Part of me feels it should have ended at the helicopter crash.

Cloverfield (spoilers, of course)

Still, doesn't hurt to use the spoiler tag to protect the innocent. :tmeh:

I'm interested in seeing this. Was completely off my radar until later last week, when the hype must have reached critical mass and I finally stumbled across it.

Monster movies with big budgets are very difficult to get right, but I was hoping perhaps Abrahms could make something good. The "shakey cam" approach seems like a piss-poor cop out to me though; very easy way of artificially generating tension and excitement.

Can't find a decent torrent anywhere -- the web's flooded with fakes it seems at the moment. I suppose I can wait until next Friday to see it in the UK. ;(

Still, doesn't hurt to use the spoiler tag to protect the innocent. :tmeh:

I'm interested in seeing this. Was completely off my radar until later last week, when the hype must have reached critical mass and I finally stumbled across it.

Monster movies with big budgets are very difficult to get right, but I was hoping perhaps Abrahms could make something good. The "shakey cam" approach seems like a piss-poor cop out to me though; very easy way of artificially generating tension and excitement.

Can't find a decent torrent anywhere -- the web's flooded with fakes it seems at the moment. I suppose I can wait until next Friday to see it in the UK. ;(

Did you not want to see this? Sorry. ;( I'll fix it.

And yeah, it took some getting used to. I personally thought it got you more involved in the story, but my dad thought it actually distanced you from the action.

Did you not want to see this? Sorry. ;( I'll fix it.

I only meant your second para, about some of the effects of the creature's appearance.

That's all. :peace: