Sign in to follow this  
BigJKO

Metaplace

Didn't see any posts about this so I'm going to post this in the hopes for some discussion.

I first heard about this(the bit about Metaplace is a bit later in the article) today, but apparently they're into alpha stages now.

Create your own MMORPG shards by modding exisiting ones or starting from scratch. I love the idea, just hope it's executed nicely and user-friendly.

Official website.

I've been on the beta list since the project first broke cover early last year and was hoping to have been invited by now. :sad:

I've had a very brief email chat with Koster about his ideas and the web, but I'm still not much the wiser as to how Metaplace will actually work. It's going to be in-page embedded app, like Shockwave or something, correct? And you'll be able to make your own 'space' there and then connect to friends' spaces also -- something like Second Life but browser-based.

I'm struggling to see how they'll be able to go live with it in April, as it still sounds a long way off from realising its ambitions. Still, he talks a good talk does Raph, so I remain optimistic. It's certainly very interesting in principle and the potential for it is massive.

The official site makes it sound like some browser-based app, and that every world has a link which can be used as a Facebook or MySpace widget, so that you can put that in your social network profiles and invite anyone to play.

I look at it more like an actual game than a Second Life virtual world thing. But it can probably be whatever the one creating his "world" wants it to be.

I love the idea that any item, room and world has its own internet existence on a server and an item can for example e-mail the one carrying the item. There's a whole lot of possibilities in this, if it works the way it sounds.

About the April launch, they might be further along in development than one might think.

Just a heads-up. Anyone interested in stress testing Metaplace should drop by on the official website this Friday at 5 pm PST.

It's none of the massively-multiplayer stuff, just a test for seeing how the servers handle multiple instances of a single player game. Only multiplayer element will be a chat between instances.