Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Michel Ancel's name whispered in highly speculative news report

Woohoo speculation.

Ubisoft is set to announce a new project representing "a new genre" some time in the near future
Crytek is at work on the Xbox version of Far Cry, while Ubisoft Montreal's plate is rather full as well, but then Michel Ancel doesn't have an officially announced project in the works as yet...
Source: http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1614704,00.asp

God, no, Trep. He looks like my old boss at the Dolmen. He used to yell and the other waitresses the whole time, for no reason, and he reduced all of us to tears in front of customers at least maybe fifty kazillion times. And when I was 15 and studying for exams, he used to make me world 12 hour days on Saturday and Sunday, and 6 hours on a Friday. When I had school 5 days a week. ASERghaerYHKH!!! I hated that guy!!! And he looks like Ancel!!!

Back on topic; I was only thinking about new genres the other day. I mean, what else could there possibly be? What if you took one thing from every genre that made it excellent... the story of an Adventure Game, the action of an FPS, the large penis of RPG's... and combine it all into one supergame? It could be called the Supergenre!

Then I woke up.

out of context:

new genre?

i wrote some sort of an idea of a genre-mix up some time ago, which contains some sort of storytelling that has never been there before combined with action/sneaking/horror-sequences and all i'll need for it is...hmm...experience???

in context:

i think that the whole gaming industry develops to some kind of "genre-fusion". the whole part of story- and gameplay-innovation may be verrrrrry important to distinguish your games from all the others on the market to get the only resource that counts: buyers.

Stop stealing stuff from the COT. And that's not what that means. I hate you, Christian Coconut!!! Did you get my e-mail? It says how much I HATE you!!! Yeeaaaaaaah!!!!

Anyway.

i think that the whole gaming industry develops to some kind of "genre-fusion". the whole part of story- and gameplay-innovation may be verrrrrry important to distinguish your games from all the others on the market to get the only resource that counts: buyers.

I don't quite understand. You mean that all games are eventually gonna be one genre? Or ... ?

in context:

not all genres to one, but nowadays are for instance games available, who mix rpg and real time strategy or racing games and storytelling like in dtm racer 2 (or how this game is called), together. it's like walking through the garden of genres and picking up the seeds of the most enjoyable genre-parts and plant the ultimative game-genre-tree using the advantages of all genres included.

that may be one of the future trends. right after these online-thingies and all this unreal engine 3 technologie-stuff.

out of context:

wtf is COT????

in context:

not all genres to one, but nowadays are for instance games available, who mix rpg and real time strategy or racing games and storytelling like in dtm racer 2 (or how this game is called), together. it's like walking through the garden of genres and picking up the seeds of the most enjoyable genre-parts and plant the ultimative game-genre-tree using the advantages of all genres included.

So, like, exactly what I said, eh?!?

The only problem I see with this though, is that... well, people prefer different genres. And having a mix of all different genres like that might create to wide an experience and actually be off-putting to the player.

yes, ma'am. exactly what you said.

i'm not always disagreeing with you. ;)

the more genres are put together the harder it usually would be to make a good game out of it. but if you put experienced game designers beyond this stuffiethingie then all this design difficulties could be solved. like warren spector did it with deus ex 1 for instance. although i never played the game. but - anyway - i love referring to games i never played.

so...anyway...to have a little bit of disagreement (otherwise this post would be scary): i don't think that it can be said that people nowadays prefer different genres, because there are in my opinion (and my definition of multi-genre-games) too less of this multimultimultigenre-games available to compare them with normal ones. publishers tend to genre-mixes because they want as much playertypes as possible as buyers for their games. or shorter (and much easier to understand): if you'd sell an action-adventure game there would be people who buy it because of the action and some who prefer the adventure-elements. but - in fact - how much people bought it because of action and adventure?

I don't think the genre affects the sales that much. I mean, sure, one genre might be more popular than another. But how many people do you know that go out specifically to buy an FPS?

fps? first person shooter?

well...some genres are easier to sell than others. a "half life 2" or "doom 3" movie with a bunch of new technolgies impresses more than...hmmm...i mean the innovations of a hl2 or d3 can be easier shown as - for instance - in an adventure. all in one: what can be easier be put into a 30 second trailer: awesome graphical effects or deep story impressions and turnarounds? but of course there are exceptions.