Sign in to follow this  
elmuerte

Crytek raided after shooting

This is, more or less, a personal blog entry of one of the Crytek developers about the raid at their offices after a shooting (note: this happened a while ago).

Something having to do with "murder simulations"

When the small tech team appeared to inspect our computers, they were accompanied by over one hundred flak-jacketed riot police, all armed with Heckler and Koch sub-machine guns.

[...]

Because we weren't all at work at the same ungodly hour that most Germans start, they were forced to set up ambushes all over town. I was caught just outside the office. Others were pounced on in the park. There were reports that they'd even set up roadblocks on the exits to the town.

Like WTF!?

I never really understood the excessive force they use to bust some nerds.

I find it interesting to note that Germany is pretty much the only country that does their own rating. All other european countries use the ratings given by PEGI (which are done by the Dutch NICAM).

You should probably mention somewhere that he states that the raid happened in 2004.

I had no idea things were like this (or even anywhere close) in Germany. Yeah, it's just his personal view on things, but there's bound to be a grain of truth in there. Perhaps a few. Of course, the whole media bit, with even somewhat respectable magazines printing utter shit to get reactions and awaken fear is something that takes place in a lot of countries today. That shouldn't come as a shock.

However, you always hear about stupid shit like games released in Germany getting their blood textures replaced with green ones and so on, but this is on such a completely different level that I'm left a bit stunned. Over a hundred armed officers to raid a software studio? There seems to be a large gap between some people and reality in todays Germany, should that be true.

Censorship gets me all riled up inside.

I said it was a while ago

this isn't the first time I hear that they used a shit load of officers (or whatever you want to call them). When they raided the pirate bay they also used excessive force. Same with with Operation Buccaneer. Saw the same thing a bit more closely with a Crazy Bytes related raid.

You really get the idea that they expect them to be armed to the teeth.

I said it was a while ago

I didn't see that. Sorry.

When they raided the pirate bay they also used excessive force. [...] You really get the idea that they expect them to be armed to the teeth.

As far as was reported here about the Pirate Bay situation (quite a bit), they weren't heavily armed and were mostly used to transport computer equipment away - around fifty policemen if I remember correctly. I don't remember reading anything about excessive force either, but that might have been the case.

The thing that was mostly wrong about the Pirate Bay take-down was that it was instigated by private groups, one of which was from outside of Sweden as well.

As far as was reported here about the Pirate Bay situation (quite a bit), they weren't heavily armed and were mostly used to transport computer equipment away - around fifty policemen if I remember correctly. I don't remember reading anything about excessive force either, but that might have been the case.

Well, not armed. But enough policement around for each one to carry a max of 2 computers from the datacenter. And that at 3 locations. But then again, the pirate bay wasn't about murder simulators. And verybody knows that people working on murder simulators are armed to the teeth.

I can't think of anything clever to say about that, so here,

:clap: funny