Sign in to follow this  
LOPcagney

Stop motion advice

I've been into stop motion film for a while but have been making videos using Windows Movie Maker, which gives a reeeaaallly slow frame rate. Does anyone know of any free ways to make better stop-motion movies?

what has movie maker to do with it?

I though you just made a shitload of frames with a camera and paste them after eachother to create a movie.

At work we use QuickTime Pro to make movies out of whole series of stills (TGA files). We registered it though - I think there was a demo version but I'm not sure what the limitations are.

QT Pro can also control certain kinds of camera rigs, and automatically take the photos, which is good for doing spins around objects and time lapse, respectively. (We don't do that though, our stills are screenshots from a modelling tool, but maybe it's more relevant for you.) It can also output those interactive movies, where you can drag over the window to show different frames, e.g. rotate around the object.

Another option is Dave's Targa Animator, aka DTA, which is a really old school program for converting various still frame formats to an FLC file (I think). I believe FLC files don't do lossy compression, though, so they're pretty big.