Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

XBLA Wednesdays - SF2 Hyper Fighting

Oh... My... Goodness..!

Shoryuken!!!

Has anyone downloaded and played this yet?! Should I be getting my girly knickers in a proper Hurricane Kick-twist over this?!! Tell me!!! *bursts with excitement*

Yeah, I have it. The arcade game seems about as accurate as I remember it, though either I suck a lot more than I did then or the game is harder than it used to be -- this might be true as I only minimally played the arcade game, preferring the possibly easier SNES version instead.

Before getting this, I expected two things to be issues for me. 1) XBox controller isn't really good for this. The D-pad isn't great. 2) online play would be laggy, like every 2D fighter I've ever played.

Both are true. However, they're not as bad as I was expecting.

1) the d-pad isn't horrible. It might just seem a lot worse right now because it is fucking incredibly hot and humid so the moisture tends to make my finger slip a bit on the d-pad (crosses are so much better for this. Damn you Nintendo patent!) I try to go for a dragon punch, I throw a regular punch, then get pounded into the ground since I'm vulnerable. This is probably contributing to how hard this game seems.

2) It's hit or miss with the online, but the coin mode is kinda fun if you can find some decent people with good connections. I've had a couple of matches through that with very minimal lag, but for the most part... yes, expect latency.

In conclusion: this game has already made me swear at the XBox more than all previous 360 games combined. :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

1) the d-pad isn't horrible, [but] I try to go for a dragon punch, I throw a regular punch, then get pounded into the ground since I'm vulnerable. This is probably contributing to how hard this game seems.

It's exactly as I expected, then. I've been trying to get back into Street Fighter recently after an obscenely long absence; trying to relearn everything, via Third Strike on Dreamcast, is made all the more difficult by the pretty naff D-pad. I've got an Xbox 360 USB controller for Windows which I've played a couple of similar fighting games with, and that didn't fair particularly well either. Personally, my favourite SF peripheral was the MegaDrive's 6 button 'banana' pad; I did have an Arcade Stick II, but it just didn't feel right--it's languishing up in my loft still, now that I think about it...

2) It's hit or miss with the online, but yes, expect latency.

Damn. I think that's going to completely screw the finer technical aspects of the game when playing online. Still, the offline mode against another person will likely be what I play most, so I can't wait to try that out. Happy days!

Cheers for the round-up, n0wak.

I just finished a night of Hyper Fighting on the SNES with my roommate. Why exactly is a 360 version necessary?

I just finished a night of Hyper Fighting on the SNES with my roommate. Why exactly is a 360 version necessary?

Re-educate the unwashed masses. And it's an indomitable classic, too--about as perfect a game for bolstering Microsoft's Arcade brand as you could hope for IMHO.

Because it's much more fun to play online with some fourteen year old from Arkansas that calls you a faggot all the time. You can't get that experience from playing on the SNES.

The coin match, though, is pretty fun. It pretty much recreates the "four people playing in a room" experience online as good anything I've seen yet.

Also, not everyone has a working SNES (or Genesis for that matter.) I do, but mine aren't accessible on a daily basis.

I was playing it with a friend last night. Had a lot of fun too.

I hadn't played Street fighter since the SNES so I had a lot of trouble getting back into it (I couldn't remember most of the moves!), luckily my friend was just as bad as me so we had a good laugh :D