Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Emergence

Having played forty minutes or so of the new Sin episode, Emergence, it's like Valve's excellent skills are being made more apparent. Even though there are some neat ideas and despite the fact that making the main female character have a visible thong is really classy, right from the start the game feels more, I don't know... empty or generic or whatever than even Half-Life 1. What do you all think? Have you even played it?

I actually like it. It doesn't do anything new, but it's a pretty solid shooter. My only complaint is that it could have probably used more polish and the guys with the chainguns are pretty annoying. $20 for 5 hours of gameplay, the original game, and multiplayer that they'll eventually release seemed like a fair enough deal to me.

Well, I've given it some more time, and as far as I'm concerned, Emergence can kiss my ass. If they'd spent more time making better levels and less time working on that revolutionary dynamic difficulty system, which, to me, seems spectacularly broken, maybe I'd bother playing it through. I'm not a fan of quicksaving being an integral part of gameplay. That's just me, though.

What is up with the game having no reviews out for it? http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/929060.asp

Sure I can understand that it's E3 week and every worthy games journalist is in Los Angeles, but the game has been gold for a fortnight, right? Are the PC sites uninterested in covering it right this week, or are Ritual uninterested in having it reviewed this week?

What is up with the game having no reviews out for it? http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/929060.asp

Sure I can understand that it's E3 week and every worthy games journalist is in Los Angeles, but the game has been gold for a fortnight, right? Are the PC sites uninterested in covering it right this week, or are Ritual uninterested in having it reviewed this week?

I think they're just too busy with E3, Gamespot hasn't updated their reviews section at all since E3 started. I'm guessing that SiN will end up with a score in the 70% range. Most people on shacknews seem to like it, and most of them of FPS fans. It's one of those games that you'll enjoy if you're a fan of the genre. I think it's fun, but it's certainly not as good as other FPS such as FEAR (although it is better than Quake 4)