Sign in to follow this  
Intrepid Homoludens

Xbox memory transfer question

Helloooo. I just bought myself an Xbox today (I've been playing on my nephew's box til now). My question is, how do I transfer all my saved games from his box to mine using a memory card?

I've been trying to figure it out. Accordingly, with the memory card shoved into the controller, when I select the memory setting it shows me what's stored in the hard disk. But the only option is to delete, there is none to 'copy' stored info from the hard drive onto the card. However, there are two stored saves already in the card when I bought it, and when I click the memory card setting there is an option to copy those saves into the box's hard drive.

Am I not getting something here? Please advise. Thanks. :grin:

Hey Trepeedo.

Congratulations on getting on Xbox, I think it's a great console, I tend to use it more than my PS2 and Cube right now.

This is going to sound a bit patronising, but when on the memory screen, have you moved your analog to the right when on a game folder? What the Xbox tends to do is create a folder for every game, and then it saves individual save slots on that folder. You actually have to select the specific save slot you want to save. When you select the individual slot, and press a, it should give you the option to copy or delete that file. You should then be able to copy it onto your memory stick.

Hope that helps dude.

By the way, Jade Empire is GREAT!!! :D

You actually have to select the specific save slot you want to save. When you select the individual slot, and press a, it should give you the option to copy or delete that file. You should then be able to copy it onto your memory stick.

That's what I've been trying to do, but the 'copy' option isn't showing up at all.

That's not good man.

That works straight up for me, I really don't know what else to suggest. I had a relatively new xbox myself, and I have no problem here.

I'll have a play around, see what I can figure out.

Sorry about your bad first experience, those frickin' suck.

No thanks, Spaff. Last thing I wanna do after buying expensive hardware is to fuck with it.

So THAT's how it works. Not all games are enabled to save onto memory cards. You'd have to look at the box where it's indicated. Project Gotham Racing and Tao Feng can be saved onto the card, but Psychonauts, KoTOR, and Jade Empire can't. I wonder if it has to with the memory storage capacity per card.

Shit. :(

Yup. KOTOR's save file is over 20MB, I believe, which won't fit on the standard XBox memory cards.

The XBox is probably the only console on which you'd have to break warranty to be able to transfer your own file saves. Well, maybe the first since the olden SEGA CD built-in-memory days.

its also a nightmare for developers to code memory card support and then get their game to pass submision because of all the associated error mesages and code signing. Most games don't bother support the memory card.

just hax the xbox ;)

Yep, what Spaff said. It's easier for developers to not support Memory Card copying for the same reason that most developers don't support Multitap or Memory Card Slot 2.

Why support a barely used feature of a console that's going to take up precious development time, and then testing to make sure that the feature passes all the associated TCRs? That's valuable time that could be used to make the game look pretty or not have characters fall through the floor in the game world.

Although, for the end user, it pretty much sucks. You'd expect that you'd be able to copy your game saves over, right? Isn't that pretty much a given? Oh well. I still like my Xbox - it has one giant Memory Card that is very unlikely to run out of space.

Yep - if you look on the back of the game boxes, Memory Card Support is often listed as an option just like Online Play or Split Screen.

Frustrating, I know.

When I got my new Xbox, I moved my Live account and like one or two save games. Stuff like KOTOR was just way too big.

Hey Intrepid I had the same problem. It pretty simple once you figure out whats going on.

Scroll through the games on your Xbox hard drive, when you get to the game you want to copy you need to move the left thumbstick over the actual game file you want to copy.

Each saved file is represented by a circle with some kind of graphic.

Once you choose the file you want, you can copy it onto your memory card.

It will give you the copy option along with the delete option.

If you just see delete then your doing it wrong.

Scroll right.

I have at least 45 diffent games on my hard drive and everyone has the option to save.

It has nothing to do with the type of game or the size of the card.