Tanukitsune

Atari 2600/5200/7800 questions...

I've gotten a sudden urge to buy an Atari 2600/5200/7800, but I've only played them as a kid at some nieghbour's house and in all these retro compilations, so I don't know a damn thing about them...

First thing, do they have retro compatabilty? I know that the 7800 plays 2600 games, but that's that. In other words, which would you recommend?

Are they NTSC/PAL restricted? Will an US Atari 2600 game/console work in an European TV?

:gaming:

I'd recommend a 7800 because they play 7800 and 2600 games 'out of the box' ... I don't really know for sure but I thought the 5800 was the shortest lived of the bunch and requires an adapter to play 2600 games? I had a 7200 growing up and there were a decent number of games made for it specifically (which were pretty nice looking until my friends got NESs).

I would bet that they are NTSC/PAL restricted just because they're old, but you would have to look it up I guess. :shifty:

The only thing I've managed to dig up is that I'll probably have to buy a new cable to plug it into a modern TV...

I've found a million Atari sites, but no answers.... ;(

Yeah, I have a 7800 that I got a couple of years ago, but I still haven't been able to use it because I'm missing a cable or something. Between the 3 systems, you should get a 7800.

The 7800 plays (almost all) 2600 games, as you've figured out. The 5200 is its own beast -- though the 8-bit Atari computers are essentially 5200s with built-in keyboards and smaller cartridge slots. The 5200 also has terrible joysticks, apparently. For all three, not only do you require a PAL console, you also can only play PAL-specific games on a PAL TV.

Really, there weren't all that many 7800 games worth playing, so you may be better off just getting a (probably much cheaper) 2600. (Although the 7800 does boast Ninja Golf, which is definitely worth playing.)

I just found a perfect auction, but I must know one thing!

Was the antenna cable fused to the console in the PAL version? The auction doesn't say if it has one or not?

I'd hate to buy one and not be able to plug it in the TV.... :erm:

I have an Atari 2600 in my hands! :clap::woohoo::clap:

I only have two games though, Mouse Trap and Real Sports Boxing... :shifty:

The games were more fun and better than I expected! How much space does an Atari cart have anyway? 4k? :erm:

In the boxing game the crowd cheers harder when the fight is more intense! Whoa!

Man I can't wait to get my hands on some more Atari carts now! :gaming:

The best atari 2600 games

solaris

pitfall

junglehunt

pacman

wresteling

piano runner

centapede

hide and go seek

Combat

and well those are some of my favorites, there.

Dang, too many favorites. :mrt: