Metalmickey

Herzog Zwei: the classic-est RTS of all...

Anyone remember a game called Herzog Zwie, released waaaay back in 1990 on the Genesis. Not only was it one of, if not THE, first RTS game, but it was also a split screen 2-player game! "Holy before-its-time classic, Batman!" I hear you cry. You controlled a single commander unit that transformed between plane and robot form, and started off owning only your home base, from which you could produce your initial units. As the game progressed, you'd take over neutral bases, manufacture land, air, or stationary defense units, give them priorities and orders, and try to eventually take the enemy's base whilst using your commander unit to transport units about, fight on the front lines, and quickly rush back to friendly bases for refueling and repairs. Brilliant stuff! Get an emulator and play it now... :yep:

I do believe it's generally considered the first RTS, before Dune II changed everything. I haven't played it though.

Thanks for that link, t'was a great read, and made me realise how much I love RTS games :) I've played and finished all of the games mentioned in it expect for Dark Reign, and most of the expansions too. I guess I've been sucked into the FPS genre more in the last couple of years, (and various console games) so that article kind of reminded me of my gaming roots :yep:

Everything Metalmickey said. Lately I've been realizing how much I've been involved in RTS games without realizing just how much - I've played a great deal of them without really considering myself a fan (even after making a custom map/campaign for WC3, and participating in a RTS tourney). But there's more ammo to use on Big Huge Games if/when I get an interview.

Loony, you know if the second part of that article is out there? I can't find it.

I love me some RTS games, but let's not forget about good ol' turn based gaming. There's some real gems in there, too (like HOMM).

Loony, you know if the second part of that article is out there? I can't find it.

I'm pretty sure that's the whole shebang there.