Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Stalker (the film)

I finally watched Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker (based on "Roadside Picknick" by the Strugatsky brothers) and it was totally awesome.

The visuals are amazing and very different from anything else I've seen. In many scenes the camera slowly pans around for minutes, showing nothing but junk. And it's the most beautiful junk I've ever seen.

Can't find any good stills, but I took two screenshots:

stalker_still1.jpg

stalker_still2.jpg

Saw this a while back - the bit when they go into a large room with sand dunes or something is pretty surreal, i think it's just before they enter the dark tunnel.

i would watch it.

but I hear it's about eight hours long, and generally boring as...

So I'm going to be lounging on the sofa with my new Twin Peaks Season 1 DVD box set instead :tup:

if it ever gets here.. goddamn play.com... grrr... rhubarbrhubarbrhubarb...

And it's not boring. It's acutally pretty far from boring, which is pretty impressive. Nah, seriously though, it's a great, great film. I love it. It's definitely a film that impress me, visually. It's extraordinary. Acually, the whole movie is wonderful.

I just saw Nostalghia. It's not quite as good, but great nonetheless. Equally, if not more, visually impressive.

Meant to watch this a while back but never got around to it.

I will soon, promise.

I watched the DVD a few months back with a few friends. It was... different. The sort of film that I'm really glad I saw, wasn't like anything else I've ever seen, and made me think for a bit. Then I got bored of thinking about it and probably wouldn't see again :) It's very slow-moving, and probably appreciated more by those who actually think a bit deeper about direction, alternative interpretations and other critic type stuff rather than just watching for the story and ideas like simple ol' me... :innocent: