Tanukitsune

Midway Arcade Treasures

Retro gaming may be making a come-back, but us PC gamers barely get any retro gaming collections... :shifty:

That is until I found Midway Arcade Treasuers for PC! :grin:

It had been released previously on PS2 and XBox (probably GC too), but guess what I found out?

They never really needed to put that much effort into it... I'm not saying it sucks, it rocks! What I'm saying is...

This game already "existed" in a way....

Back in the PSOne era Midway released 4 volumes of Midway's Aracade Classics for several systems, depending on the system you had you got different game, Midway Arcade Treasures has all the games from the PC versions, even taking the extras.

With the PC edition of Midway Arcade Treasures they don't even bother to hide it, if you explore the CD you see four folders with the games corresponding to each volume, they didn't even bother to change the help files, which clearly say "Midway Arcade Classis Vol. X", X being the volume you are in...

All they did in the console versions was give it a more console friendly interface...

Should we be mad at Midway and Digital Eclipse for this? Only if you already had the original PC Midway Arcade Classic's Vol 1-4, which isn't my case... :mock:

The thing is, the PC version looks better, and even sound better than the console ones! Of course this is because Digital Eclipse had origianaly made these for PC, while they where simply ported to the PS2 and XBox...

The main problem is trying to play Rampart (which originally was played with a trackball) and 720º (which had a circular rotating joystick) with your joystick, keyboard or mouse, the controls are just too shabby and it's near impossible to play! ;(

And why didn't they add BurgerTime! :frusty:

I jut realized I neglected to add the games in this collection.... :frusty:

-SpyHunter

-Defender

-Defender II

-Gauntlet

-Joust

-Paperboy

-Rampage

-Marble Madness

-Robotron 2084

-Smash TV

-Joust 2

-Bubbles

-RoadBlasters

-Stargate

-Blaster

-Rampart

-Sinistar

-Super Sprint

-Toobin'

-KLAX

-SPLAT!

-Satan's Hollow

-Vindicators

Is it in Midway Treasures vol 2, maybe?

Nah, that one is already out, my copy hasn't arrived yet, now that I think of it... :shifty:

-A.P.B.

-Arch Rivals

-Championship Sprint

-Cyber-Ball

-Gauntlet 2

-Hard Drivin'

-Mortal Kombat 2

-Mortal Kombat 3

-NARC

-Pit Fighter

-Primal Rage

-Rampage World Tour (The game that let's you EAT THE POPE!!!)

-Spy Hunter 2

-Steel Talons

-STUN Runner

-Timber

-Total Carnage

-Wizard of Wor

-Xenophobe

-Xybots

I have both midway collections for the x-box and I think they're pretty awesome, except it reminds me of how much I suck at mortal kombat. At least Midway Treasures 1 has smash tv, the best game ever.

I'm a little disappointed in MAT2.

MK2 is great as ever, but it's the first generation MK3, not Ultimate or any of the other variations. What they should have done is offered several, and let you switch between them via the options screen.

NARC is still delightfully violent, Maximum Carnage is still a weak-but-not-quite-horrible sequel to SMASH TV, and so those are good.

But games like Pit Fighter and Primal Rage are hideous. Primal Rage wasn't too bad in its day, but it hasn't aged well. Pit Fighter was always unbelievably awful. There was never a time when that was considered good in any way, shape or form.

Midway's working on MAT3, but what's left? I guess they could do the other variations of Mortal Kombat 3 and MK4, plus the Cruisin' games and Area 51 and I guess there are a few other Gauntlets.

But the problem with games like Area 51 is that damn hard drive issue. If you've ever played them on MAME, you have to get this obscenely large CHD file in order to get it to work at all. I can't see them emulating that while running off a DVD...they'd have to rework it extensively.

I'm a little disappointed in MAT2.

MK2 is great as ever, but it's the first generation MK3, not Ultimate or any of the other variations. What they should have done is offered several, and let you switch between them via the options screen.

NARC is still delightfully violent, Maximum Carnage is still a weak-but-not-quite-horrible sequel to SMASH TV, and so those are good.

But games like Pit Fighter and Primal Rage are hideous. Primal Rage wasn't too bad in its day, but it hasn't aged well. Pit Fighter was always unbelievably awful. There was never a time when that was considered good in any way, shape or form.

Midway's working on MAT3, but what's left? I guess they could do the other variations of Mortal Kombat 3 and MK4, plus the Cruisin' games and Area 51 and I guess there are a few other Gauntlets.

But the problem with games like Area 51 is that damn hard drive issue. If you've ever played them on MAME, you have to get this obscenely large CHD file in order to get it to work at all. I can't see them emulating that while running off a DVD...they'd have to rework it extensively.

I just got an email from Midway confirming MIdwat Arcade Treasures 3 is being made, they told me that there are several requests for BurgerTime but it's not confirmed if it will be in it...

But I agree that there aren't that many known or good Midway games left, unless they use more modern games and less quantity... Or use Williams or Atari ones....

They've already tapped the Atari Games library...Pit Fighter and Hard Drivin' were both Atari Games. And Primal Rage was Warner Bros. if I recall correctly.

Actually, one game I forgot about is S.T.U.N. Runner, which was *supposed* to be in MAT2, but was taken out along with the first Mortal Kombat.

I love that game. Hopefully that'll make the next collection. Incidentally, that's also an Atari game.

I'd like to see light gun games like Area 51 in MAT 3, that would be pretty awesome. Hopefully it won't be filled with crap like Spy Hunter 2, but they're really running out of games. Would they be able to do some of their 3-d arcade games or would that take up too much space?

I just got my copy of MAC 2 today, and the first thing I noticed is that there are FOUR fighting games and no move lists for any of them, as a matter of fact, no instuctions at all.... :shifty:

IAnd also they had very little extras, APB had tons of interviews MK 2 and 3 had lots but the rest barely had any extras at all...

Of course if less interviews means more games, I'm all for it!

Specially when the sound is so grainy...

I'd like to see light gun games like Area 51 in MAT 3, that would be pretty awesome. Hopefully it won't be filled with crap like Spy Hunter 2, but they're really running out of games. Would they be able to do some of their 3-d arcade games or would that take up too much space?

That's the question, isn't it?

They'd have to find a way around the CHD problem for games like the Crusin' series and Area51 in order for it to work. Plus, attempts at emulating the Crusin' games have been pretty problematic so far (they run like crap on even a high-end PC).

Since the MAT series uses Digital Eclipse's own emulator (as opposed to a MAME derivitive), and they don't have to worry about pesky legal issues, I imagine it's possible.

...but it won't be easy. Those CHD files are pretty huge.