yammosk

[Released] Sometimes you gotta roll the Hard Six

With this being the last Wizard Jam, I am really sad this is only the second one I participated in, but also why I felt it was important to do this one! I am really enjoying the extended time and I have been using it to learn Godot. This is my first time using this game engine other than a couple tutorials to get me familiar before the start of the jam.

For this game, I wanted to play around with some dice mechanics in an rpg/roguelike. I spent the first part of the jam mostly just following along this excellent tutorial on making a rougelike game:

The second part has been adding my combat system based on dice rolls for different player skills. The the skills level up based on your failed rolls, and the level determines the threshold for success and failure. All skills level up from level 1 to level 6. As an added wrinkle, the roll number or skill level can affect different aspects of the skill's effects. So as an example, for sword attacks, the damage is determined by the roll, while a bow attack has a constant damage but the range is determined by the level.

screenshot.20200122_001705.thumb.png.2355b20ebcddcdd8bc2a5a455a004c58.png

I worry that the mechanics are unnecessarily convoluted, but when I started playing through with both the Sword and Bow skills, it seemed like there was at least something interesting to explore.

screenshot.20200122_001710.thumb.png.d6d6d8415f39ca3bcf969320429ba24c.png

My ideal next steps would be to add more skills, but at the moment I have been focusing on ironing out some small bugs and cleaning up the code to make it easier to add new skills. With four days left, I am not sure if I'll have time to do a lot more than polishing up this version, but I am excited that it is at a point where I can play through a whole game and you get a sense for the initial idea.

Shout-outs:

Dice: https://www.kenney.nl/assets/boardgame-pack

Tilesets: https://code.google.com/archive/p/crawl-tiles/

I released the first update for the game! Version 0.1.1 is mostly focused on bug fixes and small UI tweaks I wasn't able to get done during the game jam. See below for the full Release Notes.

Changes

* Fixes for miscalculating path distances, and other updates to player and enemy path calculations. Makes enemy and player movement more consistent and resolves a whole host of bugs (also removes diagonal player movement which was actually a bug).
* Block player movement when dead and in between turns. This issue could cause weird placement when starting a new game.
* Updated how skills are disabled and enabled, which resolves some issues where skills were improperly enabled.
* Adjust player, enemy, and item sizing to better suit the size of the level tiles and each other.
* Prevent exit from being placed against a wall.
* UI clues about movement and selecting enemies now appears above items.