Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 402: Battle Brothers

1 hour ago, kgsan said:

"Also, any game making a specific comment about refugees in the last couple years is absolutely making a statement about current events." That seems like a bit of a stretch.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.B)

Googling "Germany" and "refugees" gets forty-one million hits (and it tries to autocomplete it to "crisis," too). Either the devs are making a statement, or they are terminally oblivious.

I have had my eye on this game since it launched on early access, but now that I know its finished development I will put it in my queue. 

I think the game does a really good job making a modern tactical RPG. The tight focus around the combat is very good for the game, and the mechanics, including customization/equipment are very well done. I do think it is a little too random (I hate random level ups) but I can get over that. One thing you didn't discuss too much is the injury model, which I think is something I would like to see explored more in games. I was even imagining what it would be like to have a game where there are no hit points, only wounds/injuries. 

I do think its unfortunate that there are no female characters, unlike other games like X-Com and Expedition Conquistadors. I think its interesting that often times developers think that having diversity needs to be extra work... it doesn't have to be. They don't need to have unique backgrounds or a bunch of aesthetic variations, they are overthinking it. Just a few different skin tones or adding in some tomboy female fighters wouldn't break the bank. 

The game is very good, and I wouldn't say anything about lack of inclusivity etc. if it weren't for the fact that the writing is decidedly in bad taste. The example screenshots posted are far from the worst.

It actually takes me out of the fantasy of the game when I read something that seems to be trying to be offensive on purpose.