Sign in to follow this  
clyde

Kingspray

So I'm playing Kingspray on the Oculus, but from what I understand, it has cross-platform play with the Vive. 

Here is the trailer that gives you a good idea of the game's scope:

There are three (maybe four) impressively realized environments and then a few vehicles in white-boxes to paint on. Multiplayer offers rooms with up to four people. I've only tried rooms with one other person (determined when I make the room). When someone comes in, the game lags hard for about a minute, but then things seem to run smoothly. There is a boombox that plays internet radio-stations and that is a really super nice touch. The pieces can be saved as .png that remove all the surface images that you are painted on, pictures of the graffiti on the surface, and 360 panoramas.

So I like this game a lot. Now I will start to get into how I am responding to it as me. I am pretty aggressive when it comes to territories in art, but I do it with a desire for collaboration. I used to paint and draw with people all the time and I would actively subvert tendencies of trying to create and maintain territories on the surface/page. I want to draw with people, not beside them. That means that I will draw into their stuff and I hope that they return the favor. This is a while ago, I've pretty much become a hermit in the last decade, so I don't have the opportunities to do this much anymore. Going into Kingspray, I have to build up those understandings again and tonight I realized how far away I am from it. I tried to start by creating sections on a wall that might eventually intertwine, but they didn't. I'm usually confident about my doodles, but I find myself feeling really self-conscious about them when working next to someone who is working on refining an explicit image. BUT I'm confident that I will again get to experience collaborative art with others, largely because I have experiential knowledge that it is possible and a lust for it based on how rewarding those past experiences were. I will get over my hang-ups!

Here's what me an the random other person made this evening while listening to the funk station.

http://sky.easypano.com/panoramic-images/Kingspray-2016-12-11-81655.html