Sign in to follow this  
WickedCestus

[Dev Log] EA Presents: Moby Dick, or The Whale

Hi everyone! I've never made a video game before. So, I'm going to make a video game. 

It's Moby Dick! It's the game we have all been waiting for. This idea is based on the old dumb EA Presents joke. 

The Plan: It's an adventure game! It's a top-down shooter game! In the true spirit of EA Presents, I have decided to choose an entirely incongruous genre. I am going to use GameMaker. I used GameMaker once many years ago, so, this should be easy

My goal is not to create a challenging, goal-oriented video game. I think shooter games are kinda dumb! So, I'm going to attempt to use the genre in order to do something a little more interesting (to me). I want to make a video game where the fun is in playing a part in a video game. 

The Plot: You play as Ishmael. In this game, he is a wandering inventor, who flies across the ocean with rocket (sly)boots, killing fish just for the pure animal pleasure of it. You get noticed by a man named Ahab, who wonders if he can exploit your powers in order to fulfill his life goal....

Diversifiers: 

Ludo-Narrative Dissonance, Could You Repeat That?, Nice Segue, and more...

11 minutes ago, WickedCestus said:
  • Idol Thumbs: I am thinking about whether or not to do this. I kind of want to make a game where you play as Steve Gaynor, so that my game can be tied into the Hitman Universe. 

Nice.

So, I'm completely brute-forcing my way through GameMaker by using various tutorials and pieces of code that I find on the internet. My goal is to make a game with GameMaker while not learning anything about Game Maker or programming along the way, and on that front, I am doing absolutely fantastic. 

My game has turned into something that is maybe only funny the first time you see it, and even then not for long, so I don't wanna talk too much about the concept. Right now, I'm working on hacking together level transitions using a hammer & nails, and writing the script for the game's voice-over narration. I'd like to start showing off my cool art, but first: ~~

I'd like to do the "One of These Things is Not Like The Other" diversifier. If anyone is interested in drawing a sprite for the Final Boss of my game (guess who it is!!!) either reply on here or PM me on Slack for details!

There are plenty of people using gamemaker in the jam, if you run into any trouble someone in slack can definitely help you out.