Mythalore

[Dev Log] Heir Cannon (Rich Uncle, Cool Uncle)

Your old rich uncle has recently passed, you want your inheritance but your uncle has one last task for you. You must help him get to heaven in the coolest way possible, via air cannon.

Here's an initial concept drawing, the gameplay essentially boils down to a 2D golf puzzle game with air cannons and a corpse; a rich, cool corpse.

Concept_v2.png

I've got plans for different levels and mechanics but this is the basic gameplay loop visually presented with the help of paint.

I've been working on the game since Sunday but I've had a few failed jam games of late so I wanted to make sure I actually had something before posting. I'm going to try and keep regular updates of the game from now on, starting with the progress up to now.

Update 1 (8/5):

Got basic gameplay in with a raycast system for targeting and force propulsion, also added simple physics objects.

Update-0a.gif

Update 2 (9/5):

Started adding sprites to liven up the game a bit. I spent awhile getting the artstyle down for the game I decided on 8x8 pixel resolution since pixel art is nice and quick to produce and still looks pretty readable at that resolution.

Update-0b-Art.png

Update 3 (10/5):

I've added a place holder sprite for the air gun that incrementally follows the cursor. Took ages to get the gun to follow the mouse, the 2D stuff has been there for years at this point, I'd of thought by now Unity would have a 2D LookAt method. I've also been mucking around with the force values, trying to vary the trajectory for a more interesting result.

Update-0c.gif

That's some of the clearest proof of concept documentation/previs of any jam game I've seen right there!

That's some of the clearest proof of concept documentation/previs of any jam game I've seen right there!

Thanks, I tend to design/think visually which really helps with concept art, plus the basic game is pretty simple. :)

Update 4 (11/5):

I've not had much time for dev today but I have worked out an initial todo list for development.

• Finalise force values
  • Heir placement
  • Multiple heirs
  • Shot counter
  • Victory condition, score summary
  • Range display and air particles
  • Levels