Sign in to follow this  
Dewar

Black Desert - The Economic Empire MMO I Never Knew I Wanted

My online friends have had their eye on this Korean MMO for quite a while. Their pitch to me as the US release approached was "the crafting is really complicated" which they knew is a sure way to lure me in. 

The crafting is indeed complicated, with shades of building an economic empire, The economy is almost entirely player run, and it's a complete disaster at the moment, in all the ways that let you exploit it for massive profits. Besides that, Black Desert is also very pretty and has the best "active" battles I've seen in an MMO to date. Dodging feels really quick to respond, and it's really great when you manage to get behind an enemy for a bonus damage back attack. Really, it's almost the complete package of what I'm looking for in a game. 

It's main flaw is that it's somewhat inscrutable. It's very Korean, with all the poor documentation and unusual design decisions that go along with that. Crafting is really complicated and runs off an energy system similar to a free to play phone game. It really wants you to just leave the game logged in all the time, it even will minimize to the tray so you can leave your character auto-fishing or even sleeping to regain energy so you can craft more the next time you log in.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like a ton of people are playing on the English servers yet. Well, the servers are always full, but not a large enough group of people to have reliable wikis, so it's a lot of feeling your way through it in a Dark Souls kinda way. I thought I'd see if anyone else around here is playing, so we can trade tips or whatever.