RasmusS

[Dev Log] Something Something, Winter Game

Hi fellow jammers!

I got rushed with work while working on my entry for the last Wizard Jam, so i never got a chance to complete it, even though it actually got pretty far. I want to make something for this game jam and today i have been experimenting with some first person item interaction for some mechanics i want to utilize.

Since i want to embed a developer commentary, i thought why not plot them in the game world and have the commentary be actual pickups that you play with another item in the game world. So the game will feature cassete tapes with some sweet talk on it. The game also features an RSS reader that will scan for a certain podcast and plot episodes around the game world that you can listen to ;)

You can check out how it works so far:

I have not completely settled on a lot of things, but i think it works well for now.

/ Rasmus

I realised i made a pretty big mistake in that video i just posted, the multi-threading of the mp3 to wav script was not working correctly, so it just loaded the last converted file, so all tapes played the same piece of audio or just stalled if the file could not be found, but i must admit it works rather well now.

It feels super nice to create the tapes on the fly and popping them into the radio. It's a bit unfortunate i can't stream the podcasts, but it's not too bad on decent internet, i do however need to optimize the output file as they get rather large for a long podcast. It works super well with mp3's from regular length songs, really short time from popping it in to the machine until it plays.

I also like the assets with a more outlined comic style to it:

ndTzrGx.jpg

Sweet! I don't know what this is going to turn into but that video is really cool. It's fun hearing the podcast theme song all dopplerised.  :P

Sweet! I don't know what this is going to turn into but that video is really cool. It's fun hearing the podcast theme song all dopplerised.  :P

Thank you, i have some ideas i want to toy with tonight on how the game should work.

Here is also an updated video of the radio, along with making everything seem a bit more comic like:

This took way too long to get working, but i am finally quite satisfied with how you pick up objects now. I have made and implemented a highlighting post process effect that will make objects you can pick up, glow in a certain color when hovering over them.

Developing this effect caused a lot of crashes of the Nvidia display driver because the effect had issues in deferred rendering ;)

sulnFec.jpg

Developing this effect caused a lot of crashes of the Nvidia display driver because the effect had issues in deferred rendering ;)

ANd this is why i'm sticking to 2D in gamemaker!:) Good luck with it!