Sign in to follow this  
gerbilsinspace

Devlog - Handmade Hero inspired game.

Hi Thumbs,

Thanks to Golden Calf, I've been hooked on Handmade Hero, a video series aimed at developing a game from scratch. It has been exactly a month since I started watching these videos, and I decided to start a weekly devlog discussing the game so far.

Currently, I am on video 35, where I've managed to successfully create a windows platform layer for my game, make a funky light display, mess with a sine wave, and now I have the basis of a 2d top down puzzle game.

Handmade Hero is attempting to make a modern version of the original Legend of Zelda, and while that is good for them, I'm going to be making my own game using a custom version of their engine. My first thought was to make a Hunger Games inspired game, with an open, procedurally generated world, and have a top down multiplayer deathmatch game. Of course, I quickly realised that I'm not sure how feasible writing net code from scratch would be, especially since I don't think that will be covered in the video tutorials.

So, six weeks in, and still faithfully following Casey's tutorials, I've decided to make an open world village builder game, where you explore the world to bring back monsters to live in your village. You'll be able to swap playable characters with whoever is in the village. If you die outside of the village, the creature that killed you becomes your next playable character, and you can then either create a separate village, attempt to integrate yourself with the previous village, or go on a rampage.

I want a quest based system that changes depending on who is in the village at the time, and who is still to be found.

That is a while away, however, as you'll see with the image below.

Wish me luck.

post-27915-0-60204800-1440159503_thumb.png

So, I've managed to get a wonderful artist, and pretty awesome sound guy on board, and talking with them made me realise that the Hunger Games idea was not the correct one for what we want to do, and instead hae moved towards the game described in the first post.

I am on Day 42 on handmade hero, which means I now have the ability to put bitmaps on the screen! I am really proud of how far the game has come since last time, although I do wish that I had done more videos this week. It is hard to catch up when I have over 100 videos to catch up on.

My art guy is making some test assets for the game, and as soon as I can add them to the world, I'll put up a gif to show you all. See you then!