Sign in to follow this  
Gatazhk

Best WWI strategy game?

I know the 3ma folks talked over some of their favorites back in August of '14, but I'm wondering what other folks might have in the way of recommendations. 

I'm basically looking to play grand strategy WWI although if something else is really good I'd take a chance on that.  I don't want to play the Last Express and I already have the fps Verdun.  Of particular interest to me is the opening of the War, executing the Shlieffen Plan etc.  Years ago I played the old Avalon Hill Guns of August board game, but wow it was deadly dull.

Any recommendations?

Only game I have involving WW1 is Victoria 2. But its a small part of that game.

EDIT: now that I think about it, in a way Victoria 2 is a perfect WWI game if you want to fiddle with the setup. It allows you to drastically change things like have the Ottomans allied to France or America side with Germany. I don't remember if there is a WWI start point in the game, but I bet modders are on that.

In the only Victoria 2 game I played all the way through, I conquered all of South and Central America as Brazil and was able to essentially prevent WWI by being super awesome.

I think there are two options out there: (1) Strategic Command WW1: The Great War, and (2) Commander: The Great War.  There is a demo you can download for #1.  I played that demo and have wanted to revisit the whole game, but I haven't had the time.  I bought #2 for the iPad, and it's a pretty solid game.  It doesn't do a great job with the Schlieffen Plan.  I say that because as the Germans I have never been able to do as well as they did historically, even on easy levels.  While that may be due to my lack of skill, I felt it was more due to the game itself making a quick victory in the west a near impossibility.  Despite that, it's a very entertaining strategy game, and it does a good job presenting the grand strategic decisions from that war.  

As I recall, Commander: The Great War got fairly good marks from Rob and Troy et.al., that may be the one to try.