Sign in to follow this  
Dr Wookie

Albino Lullaby- Darkly Dreaming Thumbs

maxresdefault.jpg

Albino Lullaby (http://albinolullaby.com/) is a first person horror exploration game with no gore or jump scares. It is being made by Ape Law, after a successful kickstarter; it will be released in as 3 episodes, with the first being due this spring. It is made in Unreal Engine 4, and is Oculus Rift ready. There is a demo available to people who preorder either the first episode ($10), or all three episodes ($25); you also get the soundtrack.

I had an interesting chat with one of the developers at PAX East, and I plonked down $10 for the first episode, giving me access to the demo. This is bought from IndieGameStand, and involves setting up an account with them, although this is automatic when you make the order. 

I found the demo very interesting, although it crashed and I probably need to play it through again in order to finish it. The atmosphere is really great, creepy yet very colourful; everything looks a bit like a pencil sketch. You wake up in a VERY strange place after a car accident, and must escape. Without saying too much, the place changes drastically according to your actions. I'm going to stick a video and some screenies in spoilers, as it's probably best to know as little as possible. I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't find a run button on the game pad, and had to use the shift key, but am looking forward to finding out how the full game plays. I think it has a lot of promise, but it's too early to say whether it will capitalise on that, especially since it's episodic. I didn't play it on the Oculus, but I think it would be incredible :).. the website gives a good impression of what it looks like in the rift, and the art style was clearly chosen with the rift in mind. 

It's a New England based team, led by  a guy who did level design  on new Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. The game won the Epic Epic Award at the most recent Boston Festival of Indy Games, for narrative and world building.