Sign in to follow this  
grumbeld

Lies of Locke Lamora

I just finished reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy that is removed from elves and dwarves and what not. It's an urban setting where the main characters are con-men. There's tragedy and triumph, trials and tribulations, etc and etc. The best part of the writing, in my mind, was that the author would intersperse the main story line with interludes where we'd learn a piece of history about the town or about one of the characters. It worked really well in the book. Such a thing has the danger of making the pacing rough, but it worked well here. It's an interesting world that the author created, and I'd like to see another book with those characters.

You're in both so much and so little luck. Red Seas Under Red Skies takes them to Tal Verrar and is even better than the first book. On the little luck end, Republic of Thieves, the third book in the series, is being perpetually delayed because Lynch's life has kind of been fucked up a lot the last year or so. Nothing to fault him for, but I'm pretty close to rereading the first two books at this point, for a third time no less.

I'd thoroughly recommend both books for a (mostly, there is a smidgen of high fantasy magic) low-fantasy Oceans Eleven meet Robin Hood meets The Count of Monte Cristo.

Yup, great first book. I didn't like the second one as much, but have read them both, twice. Lynch is about as slow as GRRMartin in writing new books, so we will just have to wait it out.

I read this before summer and I really enjoyed it. I loved the characters in the book and the pace of it. I still haven't read the second one, but I'm hoping it's as good as the first one.