Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 181: Blendo Games

Blendo Games' Brendon Chung joins Rob and Julian to talk about Flotilla, Atom Zombie Smasher, Gravity Bone, and his approach to design. Rob and Julian are fascinated by his willingness to conclude a game when it is at its best, and Brendon explains why that is and the things from his own games that he wants to revisit. Rob is crushed to hear of the lost, X-COM style metagame for Atom Zombie Smasher.

Listen

Hey! You told me you wouldn't get your Idle Thumbs in my Three Moves Ahead!

...But I'll let this one slide. Brendon Chung is the best, I look forward to listening to this one at work today.

I love Chung's tight little games. Flotilla especially, but that may just be because of the bell sound. I feel like Pavlove's dog playing that game. I was also one of the handful of people who got it on the XBLIG and think it works really well with the controller. I enjoyed it so much I sent him an email like a creepy stalker, thanking him for making such an interesting game.

Awesome episode, I really like blendo games and the philosophy of making shorter but tighter games, a nice change from the norm.

For those interested in the cut metagame, I posted a video of it:

I added some annotation popups so it's not completely stupefying.

Wow, that metagame video is completely stupefying!

Great show, all, and what a coup to get Brendon Chung on. I love Atom Zombie Smasher and Flotilla and maybe I'll check out those other titles some day.

Make more strategy games, Brendon!