Sign in to follow this  
Gwardinen

Masq

While listening to the most recent PC Gamer UK podcast, I heard about an older game called Masq*. The guys described it as an "interactive comic" and that's pretty apt.

The basic premise is that you are a fairly normal guy in a fairly normal situation, a fashion designer about to launch a new line and having trouble getting the money for it while worrying about your wife's overtime and boss. You then have to make time-limited decisions about how to react and what to say to various events, which cause the story to branch pretty heavily. It's that serious branching and the way it can spiral out of control from a pretty normal situation to a pretty extreme catastrophe that provides the interest.

It runs in Macromedia Shockwave (!), and you have to be online to play it, even if you download the file. Episodes 1 and I think 2 can be played without registering, but 3-5 have to be registered for - though it is free, at least at the moment. The episodes aren't in any way self-contained so if you don't register you're literally just playing the first 40% of the story and not seeing how the vast majority of your choices work out.

*Though they simply spoke the name, obviously making it sound like "mask" and never mentioning the q spelling as far as I noticed. Made for an entertaining set of Google searches.

While listening to the most recent PC Gamer UK podcast, I heard about an older game called Masq*. The guys described it as an "interactive comic" and that's pretty apt.

I it too, caught my interest with the branching paths and also because you're not saving the universe. I think the Thumbs covered this in an episode, why do you always have to be the chosen one? Why is not just about trying to get a job or something. Have there been any big titles lately that have more of a personal storyline rather than a save the world. Catherine?

I'm playing FF3 on iOS now and there are 4 chosen ones and I control all of them.