Irishjohn

Infinite Space

I should have known they would!

Well it got in just before I headed out last night so maybe it's time for a quick look of my own!

I sure will... Haven't had much of a chance to play it yet, but through the first battle tutorial and space station I have mixed vibes. If you like the 70s/80s Asian sci-fi cartoon style you'll have a nice first impression with this one, but otherwise I kind of hope the battle system gets a bit more interesting.

I haven't started outfitting ships though, and I suspect that will be where the fun really starts.

Ok, so... I'm not terribly far into the game but I've done a little bit of fighting and modified ships a bit.

I really like it, a couple of hours in. When I first started it I had a bit of buyer's remorse. I had a very mixed first impression. The game very quickly though makes you realise it's simple RPG. You land in stations, talk to dudes, move on and do the next thing. In space.

I know it doesn't sound like much but the game is just winning me over by being simple fun. It probably gets more complicated down the line, but I think you'll find it charming, IF you're okay with some of the sillier JRPG type talk. My character WILL be the baddest Zero G Dog in space, damn it!

but I think you'll find it charming, IF you're okay with some of the sillier JRPG type talk.

Not only am I ok with silly talk...I demand it of my JRPGs. Actually, I enjoy silly talk in all sorts of games: Just Cause 2, for instance.

Well then, I think this game will make you happy! Lots of goofy JRPG weirdness from pretty much the word go.

So far it is REALLY linear, but it's still space, and it feels cool. I feel like the battles might get tiring soon but so far they're fine. It just seems a little simplistic, even for the what this game is trying to do.

Ok, early on there's a simple pattern... grind up a little, beat a boss type guy, go to next area, grind up a little, beat a boss type guy...

Although you also get the rather brazen "until that thing is ready go and do whatever you like", i.e. go around space killing dudes for two hours of your life.

I probably don't need to be grinding as much but I just got a blueprint for a better ship and I want to get it.

I have not got very far, but can tell you that it is bollocking hard, and that all that grinding is probably very necessary.

Yeah, very early on I was getting comprehensively murdered until I happened to have a chat with an NPC I'd already met and he taught me how to add a second ship to my fleet.

I had absolutely no encouragement to seek this guy out, I was mostly desperate!